76 ⁘ Found

76

When In-hyuk entered the hospital room the next morning, he quickly noticed that everyone was still asleep. He carefully closed the door behind him and stepped inside. He might have felt like he was being too loud, yet that was really just because it was awfully quiet inside. 

The milky white curtains were pulled in front of the windows lazily, allowing for some light to push inside. The sun shone softly onto the bed and lay itself over the two resting figures. 

Da-eun was lying on the bed, a single dent in her pillow where her head was. The blanket was neatly covering her and the bed. It looked exactly like it did when In-hyuk left last night, casting a light frown onto his face as he realized she can't have moved much. She should have felt better by now, so realizing she had been near motionless for the whole night worried him. 

After a few moments, his eyes fell on Chenle. He rested his head on the bed next to Da-eun's hand. Their fingers were intertwined, his fingertips gently pressing into the back of her hand as he was holding onto her. 

In-hyuk sighed, feeling a weight on his chest at the sight. He put the paper bag that he had brought with him down on the small table and walked over to Chenle. He gave his shoulder a squeeze. The boy pushed out a sleepy hum and opened his eyes just enough to spot In-hyuk next to him. 

"Oh," he said under his breath. "You're here." 

"I brought breakfast," he told him, then nodded towards the bag on the table. "Coffee and pastries. They're still warm, let's eat."

Chenle looked at In-hyuk wordlessly, then turned to look at Da-eun who was still sleeping. She looked peaceful. She looked okay. 

"Da-eun should eat too," he mumbled. 

"She's not awake yet," In-hyuk pointed out. "She'll eat later. Let her sleep." 

"Why isn't she awake though?" he wondered quietly. "The doctor said she'd wake up soon." 

"She must've been exhausted," the older reasoned. "Give her some time." 

"Yeah..." Chenle figured that In-hyuk was right. Yet the longer he had his eyes on her, the harder it got to deny that he was impatient. He was longing to see the brown of her eyes, hear the warmth of her voice. 

In-hyuk could tell by the sight of the boy alone that he was not willing to get up and leave her side. Even the few steps to the side were too much.  

"Chenle..."

"Just for a while," he said quickly. "I'll just stay for a little while longer, then I'll eat. Promise." 

In-hyuk sighed. "And if she wakes up and notices you haven't been looking after yourself because of her don't you think she'd be sad?" 

Chenle swiftly shook his head. "I think she'd understand," he commented confidently. 

"She'd still be upset," In-hyuk urged. "Don't be an idiot." 

"I am not." 

"Lie to yourself but don't lie to me," In-hyuk warned quietly before turning around and walking to grab something from the bag. It rustled as he reached inside and tried to fish out a cup from underneath the pastries. "At least drink the coffee." 

"Can I have a coffee too?" 

In-hyuk's fingers had just wrapped themselves around the paper cup when he stopped what he was doing and turned around to look at the bed. 

It was impossible to describe how relieved he felt when he saw Da-eun looking at him. Her eyes might have been barely open and she carried a subtle frown on her face because of how bright the light was - but she was awake.