82 ⁘ Scared

I actually updated without letting a whole month pass? shocking

82

Da-eun took off her shoes. The grass was so tall that the black of her sneakers barely shone through the thick green. She crossed her legs, as she pushed her back into the wooden bench's backrest. 

She took a deep breath. A breeze brushed through her hair and gently grazed her skin. 

Juwon looked at her, a smile on his lips. "You look happy lately," he commented. 

"I am," she replied right away and turned to look at him. His smile reflected onto her and she grinned. 

Juwon's eyes lingered on her. She radiated warmth and glee, radiated an optimism that he had always wished for her to feel. He knew she had started to feel better, to appreciate life rather than dreading it. But it felt like it finally overwhelmed her. 

Like she was filled to the brim with happiness.  

"Finally," he pushed out quietly at which she smiled even wider. Da-eun remembered the ice cream that they bought just moments ago. She had placed the two cups on the bench next to her, so she picked them up and gave Juwon his while she kept hers. 

"Let's eat or it will melt," she said. 

Juwon quickly agreed. "Tell me about the audition," he said before pushing a spoonful of ice cream into his mouth. "How did it go?" 

"It went... well? I guess, I don't know because it was my first audition so I don't know what feedback I should be expecting," she commented, then ate some ice cream while she thought about it some more. "I acted out the scene... they were quiet for a bit but they said they thought my interpretation of the character was interesting. I don't know if that is good or bad? Because I don't know the character's backstory or personality, so I kinda winged it."

"Were there no instructions in the script?" 

"Yeah but it was a bit vague. In hindsight that might have been on purpose," she thought out loud. Either way, she eventually just smiled. "I don't know what will happen but I am glad I tried." 

Juwon nodded, agreeing with her. "I feel the same way," he said. He ruffled her hair. "I'm proud of you, kiddo." 

Da-eun smiled. Getting praise from Juwon felt no different than getting praise from an older brother. She took a deep breath. 

"I don't like waiting though," she commented. "I hope they tell me soon if they'll consider me." 

"I hope so too. I am also curious." 

"Right?!" she agreed enthusiastically causing Juwon to laugh. He patted her head as a 'there there' before he continued eating his ice cream. "Oh, how are things with Hae-in? I haven't seen him in a while." 

Juwon looked at her from the corner of his eye. "You call him like every other day." 

"But I didn't see him," she argued, "you know, physically." 

The boy laughed. "He's fine," he said. "He wanted to join us but he's busy with work." 

"Poor him." 

"Yeah," Juwon agreed. "He works so much. I barely see him." 

Da-eun raised a brow. "Someone's a little clingy," she commented quietly at which Juwon pushed out an offended huff. 

"Of course I am," he argued. "How can I not? Did you see him? He is adorable." 

She laughed. "You are so in love," she said.