66 ⁘ Characters

Happy New Year guys! 💚

66

Despite the number of people on set, Da-eun quickly found the one person she was looking for. He was near where Chenle was, closely watching the boy's performance. 

"In-hyuk," Da-eun called the man. He turned around right away, his lips graced with a smile.

"Hey Da-eun," he greeted her. His eyes jumped down to the box in her hand that she held out for him to take. He looked up at her in confusion as he reached for it. "What's this?"

"Lunch," she told him happily. "Not sure if you like it? Chenle said you aren't a picky eater."

In-huyk agreed with a nod. "Why the nice gesture though?"

"We didn't see each other in a while so I wanted to prepare something," Da-eun replied earnestly, yet also added, "And I am very grateful that you helped Chenle with Mr Kim so this is also a means to say 'thank you'."

The older smiled a little wider. He put his hand on her shoulder and patted it softly.
"No worries. I'm happy to help - and it's also kind of my responsibility."

"As his manager?"

"As his weird uncle," In-huyk joked, "and as your friend."

Da-eun's eyes lit up when he said that, causing her to feel incredibly excited and thankful. She grinned, yet forced herself to look ahead to not get carried away.

"I always knew you were nice~" she praised herself more than him.

He scoffed. "How?"

"You told Chenle to help me with my outfit that day," she recalled. "That was nice of you."

He hummed. "Wasn't really a big deal."

"Well, I was happy anyway," she mumbled causing In-hyuk to laugh. He looked ahead as well, holding onto the box tightly. Different from her, he was a bit more hesitant at first. Although he tried his best to support Chenle, he remained cautious of the girl for a while.

A cautiousness that he had long let go of.

His eyes found Winter who was saying her lines flawlessly, completely immersed in her role, while Chenle - or rather his character - stood at the side, watching her silently.

"I'm surprised you are here today," In-hyuk said. "Where's Chae-bong?"

"Not sure? He said something came up and asked me to replace him for today."

Eventually, she focused back on the scene. Her eyes fell on Chenle and she watched his actions closely. However, no matter how she looked at it, the behaviour and the expressions were not his. She didn't see Chenle, didn't see her boyfriend.

All she saw was a character.

All she saw was Dae-hyun.

He quietly observed how the girl he liked handled a difficult situation. It wasn't necessary to let her go through it alone, it wasn't necessary to watch her like this. If anything, it would have been upsetting for her to find out he just stood there and did nothing.

And yet, he did exactly that.

Nonetheless, Da-eun could easily guess Dae-hyun's reason for acting that way and she could easily imagine how Chenle would have reacted in the same situation. 

More than that, she knew In-hyuk could do the exact same thing, considering that Winter's character, Soo-ji, had family issues similar to Da-eun's. Especially after knowing how Chenle handled the confrontation with Mr Kim, In-hyuk knew how Chenle would have acted here.