SEDUCTION NIGHT

Apollo was quite uncomfortable with the atmosphere at home. His parents did not sound thrilled, even though they were all smiley. They were so glad to see him, but he was sure there was something else they were uneasy about. He had just returned from the army and was excited to be home. He had gathered enough money to claim his bride, and he had spoken to his parents about it, and they had been happy about it, but he had not wanted to tell Cassandra's family. He wanted it to be a surprise. But with the negative vibes he was getting that night, he knew something was definitely up. It must be news about Cassandra getting married to another man. He had braced himself for that news.

He let it hang in the air until he was done freshening up and until his mother served the dinner. As they ate, he observed his parents and realized they had avoided any topic concerning the Lopezes. He dropped his spoon when he couldn't pretend anymore, drawing his parents' attention.

"Okay, can someone tell me what's wrong? Did Cassie get married to someone else? I won't be surprised."

"What? No," his mother said and tried to chuckle it off. "Cassie is still your bride..."

"Stop it, mama, I am not a kid, two years is a long time, and I wouldn't blame Cassie if her heart beats for another man, even though it's going to hurt a little... a lot, actually."

His parents exchanged glances, and his father cleared his throat and leaned closer. "Son, it's good that you thought this way, but the situation is quite different. You know Cassie's father owed the Mafia a huge debt and couldn't pay it back even after Celina died. The Mafia took Cassie away."

"What?!" Apollo sat up, his eyes darting from his father to his mother. "Eros Castillo took my bride away?"

"Apollo, there is nothing anyone can do about it. We will have to wait and see how it unfolds," his mother said.

"Bullshit! Mama y papa," [mama and papa] Apollo shot up from his seat. "Bullshit! Cassie is my bride, and I love her." His voice was filled with bitterness. "I am going to pay back all that money and get back my woman."

"Apollo, please, don't get involved with the Mafia. Eros is too dangerous for us to handle. He is dangerous and won't hesitate to kill you. Where will you see that kind of money to pay him back? You are our only son," his mother pleaded.

"It's Cassie we are talking about here, mama." Tears were already in the eyes of his mother. His father stood up and walked up to him.

"Apollo, we never wanted to tell you because of this reaction. You just said you understand if Cassie's heart beats for another man."

Apollo turned to look at his father. His eyes were already glassy. "Are you serious, papa? Cassie was taken against her will, Papa, ella aun es virgen!" [Papa, she is still a virgin]. He walked towards the door and turned to his parents. "If I don't have the money to get her out of there, I will get her my way. If it's not Cassie, it's no one else." That said, he bolted out of the house, leaving his parents staring at him as he went.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The night that had been so glorified by the other girls finally came, and Cassandra didn't know how she felt about everything. Earlier, she had been caught in a web when Lucia had asked her if she was a virgin, and a statue she had so proudly held with her head up suddenly made her ashamed to admit it. She had looked from one girl to the other, and they had all stared at her with curious eyes.