DECISIONS

Apollo sat on their patio, scrolling over and looking at the pictures of Eros Castillo on his cell phone. What could he do to get his revenge on this man? He knew who people said Eros was, but he had to be overthrown or killed by someone someday. He was skilled as a Marine, but he didn't know how Eros and his men operated. He couldn't just pin a crime on him without evidence, and Eros had his way with the laws. He was just young, but he was going to throw Eros down for stealing his bride-to-be.

He has been sad since he came back home and has barely eaten any food. He could tell his parents were worried about him, but he couldn't be okay when Cassie was out there somewhere, maybe suffering. Tonight, he was outside, scheming for a plan to get back his bride, even if it meant fighting dirty. The moon was a bright silver plate above the sky, and the wind moaned through the trees, but Apollo seemed not to notice.

The door to their house cracked open, and his father stepped out with a pullover hung on his shoulder and two bottles of beer.

"It's a windy night," the older man said, taking the adjacent seat. "Beer?" He raised a bottle.

Apollo took the bottle from him without saying anything. He knew his father was there to talk, but he didn't know if he was ready to talk. He was just distraught by the whole thing. Cassie is the only woman he loved and the reason he fought to be alive to come back home. It looked like his world fell apart when he confirmed the news.

"Your mother was worried; she wants you to cover up," his father said, tossing him the pullover. He caught it.

"Thank you." Silence settled in between them, and after a while, he muttered, "I'm sorry."

His father's wave was dismissive. "No, stop it; we understand you."

"I know. But as much as you two understand me, it also hurts you to see me this way, and I know you have always wished there was something you could do to help me out. I am sorry for making you feel helpless."

His father didn't reply for a while; he corked the cap from the beer bottle and took a long gulp as if the drink would give him confidence or an idea of what to say. "Son, you are our only child. You are all we've got, and we would support you in every way we can."

Apollo nodded and sipped his beer. "I see," he said almost in a whisper.

"It's just a few days more before you get shipped to Kuwait. I know how it feels when you can't see the person who has brought you home."

Apollo nodded, and tears formed in his eyes, but he blinked them away. "I just want to know that she is okay. What if I don't want to go back to the Marines?"

"Like quit?" There was a hint of disbelief in his father's voice.

"Quit, yeah. "What if I want to join the Mafia?"

"Apollo..."

"No, I want to join the Mafia too." "I think that is the only way to see Cassie and maybe save her."

They heard a rustling sound behind them and turned. Apollo caught his mother's back as she left the window. She has been listening in on their conversation, and he knows he has just broken her heart, but he has to fight for what belongs to him. He wasn't just going to sit there and wait for a miracle to happen. He took a long gulp of his beer.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Eros sat alone behind his desk in his study, tapping his fingers on the desk and looking at the picture on the screen of his laptop on his desk. His neck was plastered. The rejection from that b*tch lying next door still rankled. He would have killed her that night. He had almost blown her f*cking head off if not for his grandmother, Adella, who had stopped him. Her presence had surprised and calmed him at the same time. His grandma was the only person he considered human and family. Although they were different, she loved him and never failed to show that love. She was endowed with the kindest of hearts, and she was quite agile for her age. Despite her wrinkles, Grandma Adella was still beautiful. She had naturally dark hair, was plump, and had emerald eyes.