Chapter 9

Ashley's POV

"Uhm... yes, we met in the lobby this morning but again, nice to meet you." I shake Hudson's hand and smile. Phew, that was close! Why am I such an idiot?

"Me too, Ashley." He says kind of nervously I think. Of course he's nervous! I almost told his parents the embarrassing part of our meeting.

I love Marie-Anne like my own mother. She's so sympathetic and nice. I love my mom of course but sometimes I wish she could be as understanding as Meredith's mother is.

"Honey, breakfast is ready on the balcony," Marie-Anne says.

"Ok, mom I am coming," Hudson answers her.

"Sweetheart, I told that to Ashley but of course you can come too." She smiles like it was obvious. I have to giggle and hold my hand in front of my lips to stop it. But I like the thought that she respects me like a daughter. And I like her sense of humour.

"Good morning!" Meredith walks down the stairs. When she sees Hudson she widens her eyes and opens her arms.

"Oh my God, Hudson!! What are you doing here?" She screams and runs to hug him tightly. That's so sweet. While I stare at them, I start to miss my brothers. I wonder how they're feeling right now about my running away.

"I'm on vacation and wanted to spend my time with you, little sister." He says. And I have to admit that this is very cute.

"Oh, hehe don't be cross big brother but I invited my friend Ashley already. But hey, please don't be angry: you know her. She is like my little sister!" She says and comes to hug me.

"Hey! I'm older than you." I playfully say and hug her back.

"Whatever! I love you both." She says hugging me tightly.

"Aww, I love you too," I say. I'm going to get goosebumps if she continues saying such nice things.

"I love you too, little sister," Hudson says and stares at us. Now I'm feeling uncomfortable.

"Come on, breakfast is ready!" Marie-Anne interrupts the awkward silence between us and yells from the balcony.

"We're coming, mother!" Hudson turns to her and yells back. He's already on his way and as I wanted to join Meredith stops me.

"Is everything fine? You look like something happened. I can smell that." Meredith stares mysteriously at me.

"I'm fine because nothing happened. That's probably the French toast you're smelling." I giggle and maybe lie a bit.

"You're right, I'm very hungry. Let's get some breakfast!" She says and grabs my hand to head to the balcony.

I don't know where I have to sit, so I just sit next to Meredith. But next to me sits Hudson. Isn't that a little awkward to sit next to him?

"Ashley, what are you waiting for? Come sit next to me." Meredith interrupts my thoughts and solves a little of my problem. Now Hudson is staring at me like he saw a ghost. And I get nervous. As soon as I sit next to him, I let my spoon fall under the table. How clumsy of me. When I look down to get it, Hudson already grabs it.

"Uhm... Thank you." I smile in embarrassment, and he gives it to me.

"I should thank you for not telling the truth before." He mumbles and smiles nervously.

"What do you mean?" I ask. I'm confused.

"Thank you for not telling my parents how we met. I think this should be left between us." He says and I recognize how embarrassed he feels. But he's right. I didn't even tell Meredith about it. The first point, because it's her older brother and the second, it's way too embarrassing.

"No problem." I smile embarrassedly. We stare at each other for so long I didn't even recognize how long it was. He is still smiling at me and I can't help but smile too.

"What are you two whispering there? Did I miss something?" Meredith interrupts our staring. She said it so loud even her parents are now staring at us as we got caught at something.

At the same time, my phone starts ringing on the table and I immediately answer it to avoid this uncomfortable moment. As I realize the voice of Samir at the other end of the line, I hold my breath.

"Asli, where are you? What is this letter on your pillow? Are you stupid to run away from your own family? Shame on you!" He yells at me. I feel so bad I could cry but at the same time, I hope Meredith's family couldn't hear him through my phone. I stand up from the table and apologize to them. While I head into the living room where they can't hear me, I start to cry. How am I supposed to explain this to them?