Chapter 9

Wei Ying grinned back at Lan Zhan.

"I hate to tell you this...but what about the daylight? Isn't that going to affect you?" He came and joined them at the table, turning his chair around so that the back faced his chest as he straddled it.

Lan Zhan thought he looked so hot, just like that.

"I went out yesterday." He defended himself.

"But...what time did you go out?" Wei Ying persisted. "I'm not trying to discourage you..." He stretched out his hand and intertwined their fingers together. "But I'd rather you didn't hurt yourself on a whim."

"It was past five in the evening." Lan Zhan admitted.

"So if it was already dark....maybe that's why you were okay?" Wei Ying smiled, comfortingly.

"We can try." Lan Zhan knew he was being stubborn. "Otherwise how will we know if I do not try?"

"Finished!" A-Yuan said, pushing his plate away from himself.

He climbed off his chair and went to put his plate on the sink. He reached for the taps but was just a little bit too short to reach.

Before Lan Zhan knew what he was doing, he was by the little boy, lifting him up so he could wash his hands and rinse out the plate.

"Thank you, Zhan Gege." He gave Lan Zhan a bright smile.

Wei Ying was watching them from his chair. He saw Lan Zhan’s face, the softening of his golden eyes as he accepted the little boy's words. There was such a tenderness in his expression that Wei Ying was blinking back extra moisture.

"Shower time!" A-Yuan declared after he wiped his hands.

"We'll be back in a few minutes." Wei Ying stood up reluctantly.

He had been enjoying having this chat with Lan Zhan...discussing his condition. But he thought Lan Zhan was being overly optimistic by thinking that the daylight wasn't going to affect him.

He tried to recall all the things he knew about vampires.

1. No reflection in mirrors. Check.
2. Garlic allergies. Possibly.
3. Drinking blood. Check.
4. Daylight = death. Possibly.
5. Stakes to the heart = death. Possibly.

Definitely did not want to check out whether that was true or not, besides, didn't a stake to the heart kill off everything, vampire or not?

So that was a little bit stupid.

6. Can't enter a home unless invited.

Well, that one was not only a moot point, but also a wrong assumption.

Wei Ying hadn't actually invited Lan Zhan into his home, however he had invited him to stay for as long as he wanted, right? Did that count?

7. Holy water?

Wei Ying didn’t want to say that he didn't believe in that...but it was a bit of a stretch....right?

8. Vampires were supposed to be really pale. Check.

Lan Zhan was very pale.

Though that part might be his natural colouring.

A-Yuan was being really good today.

He distracted Wei Ying from his thoughts as he showered and got dressed with his help.

"I helped Zhan Gege yesterday." His little boy said proudly.

"And did you like doing that?" Wei Ying asked him, helping his arm through a sleeve.

"Ahuh. Can we cook something today? After I come back?" He looked so hopeful that Wei Ying was reluctant to say no.