Chapter 30

Chapter 30

My head was in war when Wayne stepped inside my room and said, "Noah's in the hospital. He'll be discharged later tonight and he along with his men will be returning back to their pack. In the meantime, there is a treaty in motion where blood money will be given and everything will be forgotten."

I rolled my eyes at his words and combed my wet hair. It had been a long night. Right after the entire thing, I walked all the way to the house and Nora made a special herbal tea for me. The tea helped in healing me a little but warm shower did all the magic.

"How are you doing?" He asked when I didn't say anything. "Do you need anything?"

I continued brushing my hair and replied, "No. Nothing."

"Clara. I want to talk to you." He placed his hand on my shoulders and said in a gentle tone. I wasn't sure how I felt about Wayne anymore.

He stopped me right when I was going to kill someone and instead of killing Noah for me, he saved him and took him to the hospital. Did I even matter?

"I don't want to talk to you." I stated, my jaw clenched.

"But I do." He ran his finger over the bruise on my shoulder and I winced a little at the pain. While it had healed, there was still a terrible gash on my shoulder that wasn't disappearing anytime soon. "I'm sorry that you got hurt but you should've come to me if you saw him at the event."

"And what would you have done?" I raised my head and asked him while placing the comb back on the dresser. "Would you have killed him? He wanted revenge—"

"He's barely twenty-three, Clara. He would have done nothing if you didn't provoke him."

"So, it's my fault?" I looked away and stared at the mirror. For a minute, I felt a pang of guilt inside my chest as if everything was my fault.

"No. I'm not saying it's your fault." Wayne shook his head. "But you're carrying a lot of memories from your past. You believe everyone is evil and everyone is going to hurt you."

"Isn't everyone?" I cocked my brow at my reflection.

Wayne moved from my back and came in front of me. He leaned over the dress and slipped his hands underneath my face before I lifted my eyes to meet with his. "No one is going to hurt you. I'm here for you. You found Thomas a threat, I killed him for you but Noah isn't a threat and neither is anyone else."

No. I didn't believe him.

I pulled my shoulders back and nodded, agreeing with him in the meantime. Maybe he could be right. Maybe it was all in my head. Or maybe not.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, loudly.

"It's okay." He rubbed his hand over my face, soothing the pain down in a way. The mate bond allowed me to heal quicker as soon as he began touching me.

I wrapped my arms around his torso and clung to him. He snaked his hand toward my hair, patting my head as I tried to find comfort within him. My every breath was shaky, full of emotions and tears were forming in my eyes.

I was terrified of the history repeating. The past year had been torture and healing was greater torture. I just wished things would have happened differently.

I closed my eyes and flashes of my past appeared. Jerking back, I stared up at Wayne, eyes wide and questioning. "What was the talk about the new strain? Of what? The poison? I overheard you speaking to another Alpha. What's happening? I want to know the truth."

"Nothing." He quickly said, without even taking a breath. It was almost as if he was covering something up. No hesitation.

"What is it?" I repeated in a stricter tone. I demanded to know what was happening here, not just as the pack member but as also his mate. "Tell me, Wayne."

"It's nothing, Clara. Leave it." He got up and walked behind me.

I stood from the chair and followed him to the bed. Without having my answers, I wasn't going to fall asleep. Noah was one trouble but I knew there was another one lingering in the air, waiting for me to know it.

His face hardened and a shadow appeared over his jaw as his features came under the little light inside the bedroom. The conversation had barely begun and I could already see the discomfort in his face.

But his silence was making things worse.

"What happened while I was gone?" I asked, gritting my teeth. Words spat out of me themselves. I took large breaths. My breasts rose and dropped. The atmosphere changed, stiffening and suffocating me as I imagined the worst. "What was it that kept you here? What was the reason that you never came looking for me? I never stopped you, Wayne. I told you, you could come for me anytime, convince me, take me home with you but not once, you reached out!" I exclaimed as my vision blurred.

"It's complicated." He replied, facing me.

Just one word?

It wasn't until Thomas reached out to Wayne that he came for me. The entire year, he didn't reach out or call or text. Nothing. I was healing but I never stopped him to come to find me and take me. I would've been here long ago if he ever searched me.

"Complicated?" My eyes bulged. "Complicated my ass! I waited for you. I fucking waited for you. I was broken, I was hurt and I needed my mate. That was all I needed."

"I was here, Clara." He argued.

"You knew I would have been to ashamed to come back here after leaving you and you knew, with the right words, you could have convinced me to return." I snapped at him, blinking repeatedly as tears began spilling out of my eyes.

"I couldn't. I needed time too!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air out of frustration. At last, the truth came out of him. "I couldn't see you, not until I had fixed myself, not until I was okay to see you." He clarified.

I sniffed, "Why? What's wrong with you? What did you do while I was gone? Did you fuck someone else? Just tell me, Wayne. What did you do? What stopped you? Who stopped you?" I continued with the questions, not taking a breath until I had my answer.

The itch to know what was going on with Wayne was getting worse second by second. He knew everything I did, how many people I killed, where I went and where I crashed but I knew nothing about him except he had once kissed a woman named Allison who was the Beta of the pack.

The bare minimum.

His eyes widened in anger and his chest rattled as he growled before turning to me, "You want to know who stopped me?"

I nodded.

"Your mother! That's it. She stopped me. I couldn't see you because of her, I couldn't do anything because of her, I couldn't come for you, because of her!" He snapped, his voice shaking the room and me.

"What?" I whispered. "What did she do to you?" I wanted to know but at the same time, I didn't. I was too afraid to find out what my mother had done, again.

His head lowered and his fists released before he sat down on the edge of the bed, gloom roaming over his features. When he raised his head, I found sadness and fear in his eyes.

"Your mother came by just as you left. She poisoned me. It was a different strain of the poison. It didn't weaken me, instead, it ruined me. It turned me a horrifying blood-thirsty creature."

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr