Chapter 18

Chapter 18

While holding the warm coffee in one hand, I switched off the engine and stepped out of the car. The car key dangled between my other bunch of keys, settling perfectly in as it was made for me to ride and use.

Maybe I could take residence here for a bit.

I walked across the driveway to reach the main entrance to the house. In front of the large carved wooden door, I found Wayne standing, idle, his expression stiff and his eyes red in anger.

"Wayne," I stepped up from the stairs and reached him. In order to get inside, I had to get past through him and it was going to be hard. "It's just been a couple of hours more. You really didn't have to budge me with all those calls and messages." I said, my voice exhausted out from the day I had spent.

"I told you something..."

"To be back—I'm back. I didn't run. You should be happy about that rather than all gloomy." I wavered my hand around his face and that only furthered the anger within him.

"I told you to be back by evening," He said, looking at me. "And it's almost going to be midnight."

"Fine. I'm late. What are you going to do about it? Nothing so let me in before I freeze to death." I rolled my eyes and went past him to get through the front door of the house.

As soon as I stepped inside, warmth embraced me and I continued walking over to the family room. The dim golden lights were switched on, creating the perfect atmosphere for a good night. All I wanted to do was now finish my coffee and throw myself over the bed to finish reading up some books.

But someone had other plans.

"Where were you?" Wayne asked, stepping inside the house behind me and closing the door. "Who were you with?" The questions began.

I swallowed the hardness forming in my throat and thought of all the possibilities and lies I could tell him to divert his attention. I didn't want Wayne knowing that I went to the hills, looking for my Mother or any information about her.

"Just around. Caught up with my old friend and that's when I lost track of time." I responded after a few quite minutes.

I knew he was standing behind me. I could feel the heat from his stare on my back.

Shivering, I placed the coffee down on the table and turned around. "I came here but it doesn't mean everything will run at your will. If I want to go anywhere, I will to do so and there is nothing you can do to stop me." I said, turning to him.

"You'll do whatever I say." He stepped closer, down the stairs and over to the open family room.

I took in a sharp breath, "No, I won't."

"You will, Clara. All I did was ask you to return home by evening and you couldn't even do that." We were now only a few inches apart. I could feel his hot body and breath nearly fanning over my small frame. He spoke slow as if he was cautious but his voice was deep, nearly threatening, "I called you and not once you received my call or informed me about your whereabouts. It really pissed me off."

The entire conversation was leading up to an argument and I was more than prepared for it.

I folded my arms across my chest, "I don't care, Wayne. I can do whatever I wish, meet whoever I want to and you can't stop me."

A muscle in his jaw throbbed as he clenched his teeth together and stepped forward, his face now facing mine, "I can. Watch me."

"I'm watching." I stared into his eyes, stirring him. "What are you going to do about it? Threaten me again? Is that all you have? Threats? Words?" I cocked my brow at him before scoffing and turning around to grab my coffee and return to my room.