Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Magnus and Allison arrived at the house soon after we had called for them. We had told them the details they needed to know and put them on work. There were at least twenty packs surrounding ours, some couple hours drive away while some a small plane ride away. The packs that were small, covering little towns were ruled out as they were wealthy enough to buy the poison my mother had created.

I knew my mother and she wasn't going to give anyone with a cheap price. It was her work and she must've received a great sum of money by selling it.

We short-listed five packs and then looked at the timeline of my mother's visit to these packs. The ones she hadn't visited at all were ruled out as well.

At the end, we were only left with three packs.

The Goldridge Pack

The Iron Claws

The Silverpaw Pack

We had our suspicion on all three but couldn't find enough evidence to blame one.

Night fell and the sky became as dark as it could. Heavy clouds formed, promising a rainy night but we continued to researching on the last three packs.

"You met with the Alpha of the Goldridge Pack, didn't you?" I looked at Wayne and asked him.

"Yes. At the event."

"Did you find him suspicious?"

He shrugged and grew confused, "I don't know. I'm not sure. Grayson, the Alpha of the Pack, is still quite young, though he does comes from a rich generation of Alpha's. I tried to kill his father several times but couldn't be able to do so."

My lips lined straight at his response as I expected for it to be entirely something else. "Really?"

He chuckled and neared me, "Yes."

I cleared my throat and returned my attention onto the information we had received about the Iron Claws. It was a pack ruled by male Alpha and a female Alpha—a couple—one of a kind. It wasn't often to see a couple ruling a pack together.

Just as I continued to read the information, I heard quite noises coming from underneath the house. The basement. I tore my eyes away from the papers and looked at the blank wall in front of me.

The voice wasn't clear but I could tell my mother was screaming and growling for help so someone could let her out and she could run.

She had been doing the same over the past few hours but had went silent after a couple of minutes.

A couple minutes passed yet her screaming didn't come to an end.

Wayne looked me and then I looked over at Magnus and Allison as they both heard her voice as well. Sighing, I stood up from the couch and said, "I'm going to go check on that. It seems like some animal is dying in the basement. Maybe someone stepped in because of the bad weather."

Neither Magnus nor Allison were informed that we were holding my mother captive. We didn't want to tell them about her.

"Maybe offer some food if it's too hurt!" Wayne said.

I rolled my eyes at him and stepped out of the office. Heading downstairs, I went straight into the kitchen to grab some food and then into my basement. My mother didn't stop screaming for help until she heard the door open. Though the basement was soundproof, a little voice still could be heard from a distance.

"Oh, you are finally here." She gritted her teeth and spat out in complete anger.

"Got you some food." I smiled at her and stepped into the room.