Chapter 38

Chapter 38

After Wayne parted from me, I placed my hand over my mouth, holding in the urge to scream and snap at him. He just had to do one thing and he couldn't do that.

All he had to do was kill the monster.

The warriors were still running around the camp, trying to find their way out. After a minute of walking around, I figured the way out from the forest and back into the town. There were wet tire marks from the car that had left earlier with the injured boy. The tire marks were going to lead everyone back home.

I told as many people as I could and guided them out from the camps while a few of them remained on the ground, injured. Some of the injured ones were getting carried away by the other warriors while the rest were still there.

It was a monster that had tore through this forest, nothing more.

"You should come with us," One of the warriors whispered to me. "It's not safe for you here either." He continued.

I looked over my shoulders, finding the rest of the tents getting on fire. The monster had it's teeth buried deep inside someone's throat until Wayne ripped him off the body. He threw him against the tree, growling, hoping the sound of an Alpha would force him to submit but it made no difference to the monster.

My eyes hovered over the body, praying silently that the man lying on the ground wasn't dead. He wasn't moving and I wasn't sure.

I turned my head around, facing the warrior, "You guys go. I'll follow in a minute." I said as I felt a pang of pain in my chest.

There had been a lot of bloodshed. No one was sure if the bodies on the ground were alive or dead, no one was sure what the monster was doing to them, no one even had an idea—except for Wayne.

At the end, it was just him and the monster left behind. He tried his best to control him but failed miserably. Knocking him unconscious was much more difficult this time as the man wasn't getting in his head. He set half of the place on fire along with a couple of bodies.

I tried to look away and leave but I couldn't. My heart didn't allow me to walk away from this terrible nightmare.

Wayne didn't want to kill him and I understood why. He controlled himself when he became the monster so he assumed he could teach the same control to the man. But he failed to understand that not everyone was like him.

Suddenly, with a sickening force, I was slammed against the tree. My vision blurred as the back of my head struck against the thick branches and pain erupted in my head before tracing downwards to my neck. The sharp, excruciating pain rose at my neck and I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"No..." I cried, trying to use whatever strength I had inside of me to get rid of the man that had its sharp canines buried in my flesh.

I tossed my hands over him, pushing him and hitting him as violently as I could but it didn't make a difference on him. In seconds, the world in front of me blurred, and I left the life draining out of me.

He gripped on my shoulders tightly, pushing them against the tree while his head remained between my neck and his teeth inside of me as he drank my blood, taking everything he could get, fulfilling his hunger as if he had been starved for centuries.

My body jumped as I heard a quick rip followed by a thud. I stopped screaming and the pain subsided as I opened my eyes to find the head of the monster separated from its body. The head had already fallen on the wet ground while the body took a moment before dropping down.

I gasped and released a shaky breath as my hands curled around the trunk of the tree. The body fell right between my legs and the blood oozed out of him and onto my shoes.

Shock rang through me. I felt as if I was on the verge of dropping unconscious with all that I had seen.

Bile formed in my throat and I quickly turned around, away from the body and fell onto the other side of the ground. Contents of my stomach spilled out of me as I gagged on the scents around me.

As I finished puking, the pain in my neck returned and I pushed a hand against it.

Wayne placed his arm over my shoulder before kneeling beside me. He had killed him, the monster and he hadn't thought twice about it.

"I'm sorry," He whispered. "Are you okay?"

I pushed his hand away from my face and body before finding the energy to stand up from the ground. My body trembled and I held in my breath while my hand remained against my wounded neck.

I tipped on my feet, stumbling around as I tried to find a way out. The fire had spread further and there were bodies on the ground.

This was madness.

My head felt light and I was weak. "I—I just need—take me home, please." I begged Wayne as he followed me with every step I took. Goosebumps rose over my skin and nothing helped me to stay sane.

"You're bleeding. Let me see it." He reached for the hand on my neck.

I pulled away, "No, no, I'm fine. Just—just take me home." I blinked hard as I felt being on the brink of losing my mind.

I couldn't feel much of the pain in my neck, where the monster had fed on me from. More than the pain I felt the fear down to my bones, the nightmare I had just been through and the events that had taken place.

A cloak of darkness appeared in front of me as Wayne carried me out of the forest. It all came to a silent and the screaming voices finally ended. In the silence, I finally could think and breathe.

The monster was dead, Wayne had killed me just after telling me he wouldn't.

Just as we reached the road leading out of the forest, we found patrols parked on the side, waiting for their Alpha's command. At his request, the pack wolves and a couple of cars sprinted into the forest, saving what was left of the night.

I clenched my clothes and pressed my teeth tight as Wayne placed me inside one of the cars. Soon, he began driving out of the forest and back into the town. The pain returned and whimpers escaped my lips minute after minute.

Dread welled in my stomach and remained there the entire ride back. I told him I didn't want to go to the hospital or anywhere else, just back to the house.

The wound was still open but I couldn't care much about it. I was going to heal, just as I did last night.

Only minutes after, my back was pressed against a soft sheet and a blanket was draped over me. While covered in blood, I didn't have the energy to get up or change or even clean up myself.

"I'm sorry." Wayne whispered to me again while sitting on the bed, only inches away from me. His voice was filled with sorrow and his face flushed with intense guilt as if it was all his fault.

"I just need to be alone." I murmured under my breath while closing my eyes.

"Let me clean you." He offered.

"No." I quickly said. "Please. Let me be alone, Wayne. Just for a while." My voice broke and a tear fell down from my eyes, tracing all the way down to my chin.

When I opened my eyes to meet with his, I found a pang of regret and gloom within them. He lowered his gaze and then lifted himself off the bed before walking out of my room. As he left, he closed the door behind and everything got dark.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr