Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Wayne's office at the building was larger than I had thought. Most of the furniture and the walls were a shade of wooden brown. The color scheme was enticing for me. It gave me a sense that only work went down here and nothing more.

"You can sign here." He said, slipping the papers forward while standing on the other end of the desk.

I grabbed a pen off the thick wooden table and quickly spread my ink over the papers. Once the ink was dry, my title in this pack was going to be changed. Just as I finished signing, I raised my head to glance at Wayne who seemed a bit distraught at what I had forced him to do.

"I'm your mate. You should've thought about this long ago and you shouldn't have kept a female as your Beta." I stared at him in disbelief.

He nodded his head, "And I apologized for that, Clara." He pouted while slipping the papers back to him as he had enough for me, at least for one day.

It was the next morning after we destroyed the bed and while the entire argument was settled, I still didn't trust the woman Wayne surrounded himself with. Whether or not he had feelings, she surely did and I couldn't bear another woman having feelings for my mate.

So I changed it.

"I hope you have the termination letter prepared?" I asked, a hand on the desk and the other one resting over my hip. I woke up today with a promise of a fresh start and getting back what was mine.

Wayne.

"I do." He smiled, pulling out the letter and handing it over to me. He didn't have the courage to do what I wanted him to do so instead, I asked him to let me do it by myself.

"Good. I'll see you in a bit then." I said, taking the letter and spinning around to leave the office.

"Don't get wild." He whispered behind my back.

I looked over my shoulders and pouted, "No promises."

Leaving the office, I took the elevator downstairs, to the fourth floor of the commercial building where half of the pack wolves worked. They all had upgraded from the old style of working at the pack house. There was no longer a hierarchy, no one was greater than the other. There was only one wolf at the top, the Alpha and the rest were merely equal, along with the Omega's.

It was a good upgrade. I gave points to Wayne for that. He really did change everything that bothered me. The least I could do was be a little thankful for it.

I raised my hand and knocked on the office of Ms. Allison, the Beta of the pack. Her name and her title was plastered outside of her office door, bold and visible for anyone to see.

I was jealous.

"Come in." I heard her voice inside the office, allowing me to come inside.

I opened the door and took a few steps inside the office. She tore her hands away from her computer and rose up from her seat out of respect.

"Good morning. I—I wasn't expecting to see you." She stuttered, panic clear in her voice which meant she must've known that Wayne was my mate yet she tried to get on him.

Bitch.

"Well, I'm here," I trailed off while peering at her office. It was beautiful, a soft gray with a sprinkle of white here and there. She had frames of her family settled on her desk and portraits of herself as a wolf on the wall.

Self-obsessed much?

"Is there something I can do for you?" She asked, still standing and fiddling with her fingers.

I twirled around and faced her, "Do you know I'm mated to Wayne?"

Something appeared in her eyes, fear. She swallowed hard and then nodded, "Yes."

"And did you try to approach him?"

She opened her mouth and a lie began forming behind her tongue. Before she could lie, I stared into her eyes and shook my head slowly, giving her a warning.

"I'm sorry," She started. "He was single at that time and I didn't know you were ever going to return back. No one really knew but after he shut me down, I never tried again." She quickly said, her voice and her shoulders now trembling with fear.

My head grew hot at her words. I was baffled. Did she really say that all?

"He was and is mated to me." I hissed at her, my teeth clenched and my jaw locked. "How is possible that a man that has marked another female single?" I asked her while cocking a brow.

"I—I did—"

I didn't let her speak. "Quit it. You made a mistake. I won't behead you for that, obviously." I scoffed before lowering my gaze to her desk and placing the termination letter near to her. "But you're getting terminated from your Beta position. As of now, you'll work for me—as the new Beta of your pack." I explained, hoping it would get through her little brain.

"For—for you?" The worry spread on her face like a wildfire. I assume she was no longer happy because she wasn't working for Wayne, instead for me.

"Yes," I moved my hand away from the termination paper and continued, "Don't try to make a move on my mate ever again. Whilst you and the other wolves answer to me now, I don't have to answer to anyone so don't force me to do something I don't want to do."

Allison nodded, "I understand."

I had given even threats today to her. Anymore would force her to fall on the ground and rush for emergency services to arrive at the building.

I didn't want any of that so I wrapped up the conversation and headed out.

Just before leaving, something crossed my mind, "Oh, wait..." She stood back up from the seat and waited for me to continue. "I'm usually not a bitch and I am quite forgiving but you don't want to get on my bad side. You can keep your office." I said and then stepped out of the room.

The office was pretty but it wasn't for me. I didn't want to work with the other wolves. I was only going to work with Wayne, if he ever needed my help. Otherwise, I was going to go on with my life.

"I hope she is not dead." Wayne said, the corner of his lip curled into a grin as I walked back inside his office after giving the termination letter to Allison.

It was his idea, he offered me a position, the second in command, to fulfill my duties to the pack as his mate and as a pack member. I thought it for a couple hours and then decided to go with it. But giving the termination letter to Allison was all my idea.

"She's not. At least not for now." I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck before lifting my legs off the ground and sitting over him. My fingers curled around his locks, gently twisting as I leveled with his eyes. "I hope I got a few perks when I signed that job offer."

"You did," He traced his hand down my back before resting it over my ass. "Although, they are special perks and I don't give them to anyone unless I really like them."

"That's good then." I closed my eyes and leaned in to kiss him.

I kissed him for long and hard till we were both out of breath. Our tongues curled and fought with each other. I tasted him and delved into the warmth of his mouth. Only the heat rose between us, I pulled away from him and chuckled.

His eyes were lowered, not over my lips but somewhere else, and for a minute, something flashed, a greater hunger but it wasn't for sex.

It was for something else.

When he closed his eyes, he breathed and then opened them again. A smile grew on his lips and he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"We will have sex when we go home." He whispered in my ears.

"Why not here?" I asked, pouting.

"Too many people, Clara."

I rolled my eyes. When did people ever make a difference on Wayne?

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr