Chapter 71

Chapter 71

With the threat—my mother, gone, it was safe to travel anywhere and leave town in hands of any higher officials that Wayne trusted. I left with a few people in charge of the borders, assuring no one would attack us while we were gone and Nora in charge of the house, assuring no one come inside or read any of Wayne's private files.

When I left town, I knew I was going to return with a hundred people questioning, maybe even protesting us. By then they'd learn we had been poisoned and we were different than everyone else. Some of them would dread us, flee and run away in fear of what we would do to them while some of them would set fires trying to burn us, bury us deep before we could feed on anyone.

It was a normal animal instinct. We were dangerous to everyone and we needed to figure out a way to help them accept us.

It would be hard but they needed a leader and Wayne was one great leader.

I pushed the seat of the car further back while feeling nausea hitting me once more. My throat tightened and I swallowed hard before pressing my eyes shut. When the sickening feeling didn't disappear, I threw my legs over the seat beside mine and stretched them as my head leaned back against the window.

"Are you alright, Ms. Clara?" The driver in the front asked.

We were nowhere near to Swanhill. It was still a good hour away from the empty roads we were on. Besides the road there was a forest, trees and animals stretching for hundred miles. It was dark and a mist hung over us which made the entire journey slower than usual.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the strength to drive alone for such a long time and a part of me was afraid of diving into the forest which came before Swanhill. It was unknown territory, which meant rogues and lone wolves lived in there.

"Yes. I'm fine. Just feeling a bit—" Before I could even say the word, I gagged and quickly grabbed the brown bag resting between my legs.

Chunks of the food I had earlier came gushing out along with the blood I had drank. When I finished, my throat burned and the nausea remained. It was almost as if I was dying or getting terribly sick.

Maybe I was dying.

There was barely any information on the monsters Wayne and I had become. We didn't know what we were weakened by, what strengthened us and what killed us or whether we would die soon or live forever.

The driver pulled over at the side of the road and I threw out the bag before getting back into the car.

"Should we turn around?" He asked, clutching onto the steering wheel.

"No," I shook my head and drank a bit of water. "We are almost there. Just keep going. I'm fine."

Maybe I was getting sick because I was away from Wayne. Maybe our bond was too strong that we would be weakened when astray from each other. Or maybe I was dying.

I tried not to think much and instead gazed outside, watching the darkness flood by. The driver drove steadily through the mist. We had seen a car earlier pass by us but since then nothing. The roads were empty.

Wayne was at Swanhill, in the house of the Alpha named Grayson. He was dead asleep as my every message to him went unread. I glanced at my phone again, hoping he would wake up and help me kill this time.

"It's going start pouring soon." The driver said as he watched a few droplets of water fall from the sky. "We will have to go slower." He added quickly.

"It's fine. Just take me to Swanhill." To my mate...

After that, I drifted away and lost in my thoughts. The rest of the ride remained a blur until we reached a gas station which was twenty minutes away from Swanhill. With the heavy rainfall and storm approaching, I grabbed a few drinks for my self, keeping my thirst in control as my blood bags were emptying.

We got back on the road ten minutes later and soon crossed the board of Swanhill. It was a small town and the further we neared it, the horrible the weather got. The town was surrounded with treacherous mountains and a lot of trees. It was chilling up here and I was barely able to stand it.

We reached the Alpha's house in minutes. It was located in the center of the town, guarded with men and iron gates.

"And who are you?" The guard in the front asked softy.

I rolled my window down and replied, "Clara. I was supposed to be here yesterday, with my mate but unfortunately, I had other things to take care of."

The guard nodded after I showed him the invitation that Wayne and I received from Grayson, the Alpha of the Goldridge Pack and whose residence we were entering.

The car came to an halt in front of the house. I grabbed an umbrella before stepping out and knowing what I was going to walk into.

It had just been a few hours since I killed my mother. The information of her death wasn't going to spread until later and Grayson, my mother's buyer, was surely going to informed. Then, there would be clash as he would know our purpose here.

I needed to warn Wayne, and at the same time, come up with a new strategy along with a distraction to get the remaining stock of poison from Grayson.

Though, after being welcomed by Claudia, the Alpha's mate, I was a little nervous about everything.

"If you would have informed us earlier, we would've prepared for your arrival," She said, showing me around the house while I followed here. "Though, your mate is soundlessly asleep in the guest room. Do you want to join him or do you wish to have something to drink? You look pale." She turned, and her face scrunched.

Yeah, after I killed my mother.

"Oh, no, I'm completely fine. Thank you. Just guide me to my mate. I've missed him." I cleared my throat and said.

"Alright," She ticked two of her fingers together before swirling around in her silk robe and taking me upstairs. "I heard you were sick."

"Yes. I had a flu..." I trailed off.

"And how are you feeling now?"

"Better." She looked back at me once and I started with the lies, "I wanted to join Wayne for the weekend as I cannot be away from him. I thought I could but after spending past twenty hours alone in a bed, I realized I need to be with him and sit with you and your family." A cheerful smile spread over my face as I contained my act.

"Well, we are glad to have, Clara!" She exclaimed, her voice loud as it could be. She finally stopped nearby the door and continued, "Here lies your mate. Enjoy the rest of the time and I hope you'll be able to join us tomorrow morning at breakfast. We plan on a little werewolf game at afternoon. Come and play."

A game.

The nausea returned and I pursued my lips together.

Read 20+ chapters ahead on Inkitt or Patreon:

Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr