Chapter 33

Chapter 33

My mother had reached a new low and it was way too low for her. Why would she have given the poison to anyone? Why did she give the poison to Wayne? What was she doing all this time? For the first time, I wondered about her and her whereabouts. I had no idea where she or my Uncle Hawk was but I assumed there were still somewhere around, lingering in the shadows and plotting their revenge. Although, I wasn't entirely sure about it.

"But I overheard you speaking to this other man—I suppose the Alpha of the Silvertail pack about the new strain of the poison and something about his healers." I quirked my brow at him, remaining confused.

"He's not the enemy. I asked him a favor to figure out a way to reverse the affects of the poison and in return, I would offer some of my army to him whenever he's in need of it." Wayne explained to me. "Though, his healers haven't come up with anything yet."

"What about the healers in your pack?"

"Nothing. No one knows about it. No one knows what your mother used to make the poison or what she was expecting out of it." He shrugged before picking up his coffee again and bringing the cup to his mouth.  "I think she wanted to weaken me but instead the poison strengthened me."

"I doubt she would want you to have any strength..." I trailed off, remembering her once more.

I knew my mother and she wouldn't want Wayne to have any strength. Whatever she did, she did so he could be weakened and killed easily. It was a new strain of the poison, she might have no tested it out on anyone except for Wayne.

Wayne chuckled, "True."

He crossed his arms over his chest. His eyes twinkled while his face remained black. Breathing out, he sighed and lowered his head as if this all had been enough exhausting for him. I couldn't tell what he was going through or what he felt as I wasn't in his shoes but I understood him. He became something no one had ever become.

"What do you feel about it?" I asked him.

"At times I feel as if I had been given a new life and at times, I feel threatened my own self. My werewolf has been completely dormant since the new hunger. I'm not afraid of the things I would but instead I'm afraid of what will happen as time will pass. Will I be ever able to control? What if it worsens? What if people start finding about it? What would they say? That the Alpha is turning into a monster."

"I doubt they would say that." I shook my hand and placed my hand over his.

Though, I was wrong. My first thought itself was he had turned into a monster but I didn't want to bring that word to my lips. I wasn't terrified of him, yet but I feared if he would fulfill his hunger in front of me, I would be afraid.

I needed answers, not from Wayne anymore but from my own mother that had poisoned him. I needed to find her and I needed to reverse the wrong she had done.

"Would you mind if I leave town for a couple of days with the promise returning?" I asked him while fiddling with my fingers as I wasn't sure what I expected for his response to be.

His head snapped to me and something washed over his face. "Why?"

"I might be able to find someone who can help you but I can't give anymore details right now." I responded.

"I can't let you leave, Clara. I made a mistake once and I regret it till today." He stood up from the bench and began pacing around while frown lines appeared over his face.

"I promise I'll be back." I said, raising my head and watching him circle around the shadowed area of the backyard. "It will be just for a few days and I'm not going for myself. I'm going for you."

"I don't want you to go at all." He argued.

My lips lined straight, "Wayne. Please."

"No." It seemed final, his response but I didn't want to stop right there.

I was the only one that could find out where my mother was and I had idea to where she had fled to. It had been a year since anyone last saw her before she was banished from the pack. I wanted to find her and I wanted her to reverse whatever she had done to Wayne. It was the only hope I had.

Rising my the bench, I leveled with Wayne and said, "You told me healers aren't able to do anything about this. What if I'm able to help you? Wouldn't you be pleased about it? And I'll be able to figure out whoever my mother had sold the poison to, which pack or Alpha. I'll know and so will you." I pleaded. "Give me a chance."

"I can't." He shook his head, barely taking anything into account. It seemed like he didn't want to hear anything.

"Please."

"No." He snapped. "I can't let you leave, Clara. I did that once and you left a trail of dead bodies that I had to clear. You killed an Alpha. You murdered other pack wolves and you nearly got yourself killed." He began, again, listing all the terrible things that had happened over the year.

"Nearly." I whispered.

"No." He grumbled before something fiery grew in his eyes.

"It's just for a few days. I'll be back before you even know it and I won't go far that you'll need to catch a plane. And, I'll keep you updated about my whereabouts!" I quickly added, hoping this all was enough to convince him because if it wasn't, it meant that I was never ever leaving this town again, not under Wayne's watch at least.

He shook his head and turned his back on me before whispering another, "No." He began walking toward the door.

I folded my arms across my chest, "Fine. I'll run."

He froze on his steps and his shoulders straightened before he turned around with red glimmering in his eyes. "You will what?" He growled and asked.

I swallowed hard.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr