Chapter 63

Chapter 63

I took a deep breath. My gaze flickered back onto him as I slowly made my way out of the room. That was all? He was going to let me go? Just as I stepped entirely out, his hand reached for my elbow, tightening hard and holding me in place.

"You really think I'm going to let you go?" He asked, digging his fingers into my flesh as he backed me to the wall near the cell. "You fled once, I mourned. Never again." He shook his head before turning around and pulling me out of the cellar.

I lined my lips straight, wondering what was going on in his head. If he didn't want to free me, why did he open the door?

I tripped on my way upstairs, not once but a couple of times. Each time, my head felt heavy and my vision blurred. I was becoming weak with every second passing by. My throat dried out, breaths croaked out of me and my skin became pale, drained of any blood.

Everything was a flash. I passed by the empty living room. Rays of the sunlight split through the curtains and fell over the furniture. The silence was strong, everlasting.

"Where are you taking me?" I questioned as I raised my free hand to cover my eyes.

The sun burned me instantly as we stepped out into the backyard. I hadn't seen the sun for a long while and neither had stepped out of the house when it was morning. The sunlight weakened me more. I barely managed to open my eyes and when I did, I squinted again.

The backyard of the house was stretched for miles and miles. It was connected to the forest but they were gates where the forest started. Wayne dragged me along with himself across the backyard and the longer I stayed on my legs, the weaker I felt. My knees wobbled, trying to walk, and fire started in my head.

This was absolute torture.

"I'm burning, Wayne!" I snapped at him.

I hadn't known that the sun was going to become my weakness but no one had told me. Maybe it was because of the lack of blood in me. Wayne was able to walk much smoother, as if he had learned to bear the heat and the hunger. It had been nearly a year since he had been controlling himself and I wondered how he had done it, especially without the help of anyone.

I had been like this for only a week and I didn't see myself controlling it.

Instead, I was losing it.

Wayne stopped in middle of nowhere and he loosened his grip on my elbow. I stepped back and turned my hand away from my eyes. My gaze met with his furious one, "What's the problem? Can't bear the light?" He asked, clearly a taunt in his voice.

"Fuck you." I became irritable.

"Do you want to have someone's blood?"

"Yes," I quickly nodded and then added, "Please."

"Do you feel your bones drying up? Your throat becoming parched? Your gums aching and your head burning?" His face was etched with mischief and I saw through it.

Instead of responding to him, I took my chance and sprinted away from him, fleeing like I always had. My heart paced, skipping hard and in just a couple of seconds, I fell to the ground, scraping my knees against the grass and the mud.

My head fell in dismay until Wayne appeared in front of me, his body creating a shadow for me. "It's such a pity, Clara, you barely have any strength to even stand on your own, let alone run away from me."

"You're the worst!" I exclaimed, fisting my hands while trying to rise up from the ground.

"You know what happens to us if we don't drink blood? The first few days are hard, you have this hunger inside you but you're still able to live through it. But the next few days, you're losing your senses and your control. A couple more days pass by, and you're unable to move or function, almost as if your body is decaying when in fact, you're still alive, breathing but dead from the inside." He paused for a moment, taking in a breath.

"Then, after all that, you just lay dead until someone feeds you their blood. I did that, Clara and I survived through it," He grabbed my elbows again, forcing me up from the ground. "I learned to control. The hunger subsided when there was a stronger emotion growing inside me. And you know what was that? You. I wondered about you day and night. There was a picture of you in my head and I did not want to disappoint you so I restrained myself and I didn't care about anything except for you." There was every emotion in his voice when he finished.

It was believable.

"Too bad I don't love you the same way you do." I rolled my eyes and stated.

I had tried and I had failed. There was nothing in this world important to me anymore.

"I know," He nodded his head, disappointed, and tightened his hold around my elbow. He took a couple more steps, taking me along with him.

Trees were scattered all around us, providing me with some shade. The sun stopped burning at me for a moment. Suddenly, Wayne stopped walking. He froze on his steps and so did I, behind him.

"The love you have for me isn't as strong as the love you had for her." He whispered before moving away from my way.

I lowered my gaze to a small headstone on the ground, raising upward with nothing but a date written on it. A breath left my throat before I felt everything drain out of my body as it struck me.

19th November 2016

The date was still in my head, buried deep inside. It was the day when I had been hospitalized and where I had to undergo surgery to live. The same day where I had lost my child.

Her.

Instantly, tears poured out of my eyes and dripped onto my cheeks before I even had a minute to register what I had seen—the grave of my unborn daughter. I pressed my hand over my mouth before shutting my eyes tight. An arm snaked around my shoulder and I wallowed loudly, forgetting everything else as there was nothing more important than the family I was about to have a year ago.

Read the full book Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions