Chapter 22

January 1945 - Bucky's POV

The SSR managed to crack encryption codes and were able to listen to Hydra's radio communications. They confirmed that Armin Zola would be on the Schnellzug EB912 traveling through the Central Eastern Alps. Hydra uses this train to transport equipment between bases. The SSR was able to calculate where the train would be so they sent us, The Howling Commandos, to capture Zola.

Steve and I were standing on top of the cliff that overlooked the train tracks.

"Remember when I made you ride the cyclone at Coney Island?" I asked, looking nervously at the zip line we had set up from the cliff to the mountains.

"Yeah and I threw up?"

"This isn't payback is it?" I glanced back at Steve who was smirking.

"Now why would I do that?"

"We were right. Dr. Zola is on the train." Jones shouted from behind us.

"Let's get going because they're moving like the devil." Falsworth had been keeping an eye out for the train. He ushered us to the zip-line.

Steve nodded, putting on his helmet before attaching his handles to the zip line. "We only have a ten second window. We miss that window, we're like bugs on a windshield."

He gave me a curt nod before swinging down the zip-line. Jacques called out signaling for me to go next. I followed Steve down with the Jones behind me. The three of us landed on the train safely. Rogers and I were to act as a distraction to draw Zola's guards away from him while Jones was to make his way directly to Zola.

Steve and I made our way inside the middle of the train. There weren't any guards in sight. As we continued to walked into another compartment, the doors suddenly shut, separating me from Steve. I turned to see three Hydra guards coming at me. I managed to take two of them down but once I realized I was out of ammunition in both guns, I tried to shield myself with a stack of boxes.

I heard the door open and saw Steve. He threw me another gun as we both worked together to kill the remaining Hydra guard.

"I had him on the ropes." I said, taking a step towards Steve.

"I know you did."

I heard a noise behind us causing me to turn and see a Hydra guard holding a large weapon. As he aimed to fire at us, Steve shoved me behind him, covering us with the shield. The blast ripped the side of the train open, exposing us to the cold winter air. I saw the Hydra guard was charging up another shot so I stood quickly, grabbing the shield to protect myself as I shot at the guard.

Another pulse of energy was fired at me, the blast sending me flying out of the train. I was able to grab a small piece of railing that was hanging loosely off of the destroyed hull. I tried to pull myself up but I lost my footing, almost losing my grip completely.

"Bucky!" I heard Steve shout. I looked up seeing him moving carefully over to me. I groaned, feeling my hands slipping.

Steve extended his hand to me. "Grab my hand!"

I reached for it but the railing loosened and began to shake. I felt the tears in my eyes when I looked at Steve. "Tell Riley I love-."

The railing I was clinging to snapped. I could hear a faint scream from Steve yelling my name as I fell down into the ravine below.

I closed my eyes and memories of Riley started racing through my mind. The first time I saw her when she was sitting on the swings with Steve. Our first kiss when we finally made things official between us. The first time I told her I loved her. Seeing her walk down the aisle to me on our wedding day. My life has been nothing short of incredible because of her. I pictured her beautiful smile one last time..

Then everything went black.