Chapter 64

April 2019 - Bucky's POV

I'm going to be Dad.

Me.

James Buchanan Barnes.

I wanted to scream to the world that my beautiful wife was pregnant. After everything I was put through, I was finally getting the life I've always dreamed of. Keeping the news from Steve has been extremely hard though. Even though he was my best friend, his bond with Riley is much more than a friendship so it's been hard on her too. She almost let it slip a few times but I'm honestly surprised nobody has figured it out since I haven't been able to wipe the grin off of my face. I also haven't been able to keep my hands off Riley. I feel even more protective of her that I need some type of physical contact with my wife to keep me calm.

We had our first appointment today and found out Riley was around six weeks. I quickly did the math and realized it was most likely my birthday weekend. She must have figured it out too because when we made eye contact her cheeks were red. I couldn't help but grin, fuck that was a great weekend. I wonder if I could get her to take full control like that again. I shook away the thoughts because I didn't need to get a hard-on here. The doctor also told us Riley's delivery date would be in December and at our next appointment we should be able to hear the baby's heartbeat.

Afterwards I took Riley to brunch and we decided to stop in a baby store. The plan was to just look around to get an idea of what we wanted but we ended up buying furniture for the baby's room that would be delivered in the next few days. Watching Riley walk around that store with a huge smile on her face made me so fucking happy. I love that woman more than anything so I planned something special for her.

With help from Pepper, I was taking Riley to a romantic dinner on the rooftop of a fancy restaurant tonight and we would have the entire space to ourselves. I also made a hotel reservation so we could stay in the city and Steve and Natasha were dropping off an overnight bag for us. When we left the store, I took Riley to the spa so she could get a massage and her nails done then we made our way to the hotel.

"Okay Barnes." Riley crossed her arms over her chest and slightly tilted her head. "You spoiled me today and now we're standing in a suite with a beautiful view of the city. What's going on?"

I shrugged. "Just showing my girl I love her."

She bit her lip and smiled then turned around to look out at the view again. I stood behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"This has been a great day. How can I thank you?"

I nuzzled my face in her neck and nipped at the skin. "I can think of a few ideas."

Riley giggled and squirmed out of my grasp. I smirked when she gave me a challenging look and as soon as she took off running, I was right behind her. Hearing her laugh was music to my ears. I would seriously do anything to make this woman happy. She ran behind the couch so it was blocking me from getting to her. I stepped onto the cushion to jump over the couch but I lost my footing and tumbled over the back, landing on the ground with a hard thud. I groaned and pushed myself up so my hands were holding my weight. I looked at Riley and she was kneeling on the ground holding her stomach from how hard she was laughing.