Chapter 34

April 2018

April 2018

"FRIDAY where is Tony?"

"In the lab Mrs. Barnes."

I walked into the elevator, pressing the button for the floor the lab was located on. I stepped out once the doors opened to see Tony sitting at the table working on a red and blue suit.

"Hey."

Tony jumped, startled by my voice. "I need to get you a damn bell. You always sneak up on me." He turned to look at me but frowned once he saw my face.

"Bucky told you, didn't he?"

I nodded.

"I had the same look on my face when I found out. Come here." He waved me over to sit down next to him. "Are you okay?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. I'm still trying to process it all."

"I know it's hard but you have to forgive him."

"I do."

"When I found out, it took a while for me to actually speak to him. Once I did, I realized that I couldn't blame him for something he had no control over. We talked for a while and I started to see the man my parents told me about."

"I'm sorry this happened to them. They were two of the best people I knew."

I looked into Tony's eyes, they were glossy and I could see the tears forming. He placed his hand over my mind, giving it a soft squeeze. "Thank you."

I gave him a small smile, tearing my gaze from his. I needed to change the subject before both of us started crying.

"Whose suit is that?" I saw the symbol in the center of the chest was a black spider.

"This is Peter's."

"The kid from Queens, right?"

"Yeah I'm updating the web shooters. I've actually been working on a new suit for him." He stood up and walked to a blank wall, pressing a button. The wall shifted, opening to reveal a suit with the same symbol. This one was red too but instead of fabric it was some type of metal.

"Wow."

"It's nanotech like mine. It's not finished yet so I was hoping you'd like to take over the project."

My eyes lit up as a grin formed on my face. Tony chuckled when I pulled him into a tight hug. "I'd love to. Thanks Tony."

"I figured you'd be happy about that." He placed his arm over my shoulders, leading us back to the table.

"When will I get to meet Peter?"

"Whenever you want. He's been asking the same thing but Bucky didn't want to overwhelm you."

"It's a little late for that." I responded in a playful tone.

Tony smiled. "FRIDAY send Parker a text and ask him to come to the compound after school. Riley is ready to meet him."

"Yes sir."

______________________________

Peter showed up after school like Tony had asked. He was probably one of the sweetest kids I've ever met and I quickly learned how awkward and shy he could be. He would blush at the smallest things, it was adorable. We talked for hours getting to know one another. I felt for him when he told me he lost his parents at a young age then lost his uncle. Even with all the grief he's been through, he still manages to put a smile on his face.

I crumbled another piece of paper into a ball. "Okay if I make this one, you have to let Peter do more training here."

Tony scoffed, grabbing another piece of pizza. "I don't think so."

"Come on Mr. Stark. I think I should be off the training wheels program."

I looked at the trash can on the other side of the room before throwing the paper and watching it land inside of it perfectly.

I smirked, turning to face Tony whose mouth fell open. "I want a re-match."

"Nope. I have to cook you breakfast for a week and you have to let Parker off the little kid program."

Peter cleared his throat. "It's called training wheels."

"I don't hear a difference." I patted his cheek.

"Alright, fine. Since summer is starting in a few months, what if we turned it into an internship?"

"Wait really?" Peter asked with a mouth full of pizza.

I smacked him across the back of the head. "Don't talk with your mouth full."

Tony stifled a laugh as Peter mumbled an apology.

"A few days a week you can help us around the lab and on the days you aren't here, I'll have Steve work with you on training."

"That would be awesome. Thank you Mr. Stark."

I smiled watching how excited Peter was. I looked at the clock and saw it was almost eight. "I should probably go."

"It was nice to meet you Mrs. Barnes. I hope to see you soon."

"I'm sure you will kid."

I waved to them both before I walked out of the lab and made my way to my room. I saw Bucky laying in bed, cuddled under the covers with his back towards the door. I slowly crawled in behind him, wrapping my arm around his waist, placing a few kisses on his back. I felt him shift, turning his body to face me.

"Hi." Bucky whispered.

"Hi."

"I was worried you weren't coming back. Where did you go?"

"I walked around outside for a bit before I went to the lab to talk to Tony."

Bucky sighed. "What did he say?"

"That I should forgive you but I told him I already do." I smiled, tucking a piece of his hair behind his ear.

He nodded, leaning in to kiss my lips.

"I met Peter today."

"Oh boy."

I giggled. "He's a sweet kid. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I told him I turned down MIT."

"That's where he wants to go right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. But guess what."

Bucky smiled at my excitement. "What?"

"Tony is going to let me finish working on Peter's new suit." I gave him a proud grin.

"It's such a turn on how smart you are." Bucky grabbed my hips, pulling me on top of him. He caressed my cheek, staring at me intensely. "Are we okay?"

I could sense the nervousness in this voice. I leaned down kissing the tip of his nose. "We're okay."