Chapter 32

April 2018

April 2018

The morning after my date with Bucky, we woke up naked, our legs tangled together under the sheets. He made me breakfast and we spent most of the day cuddling on the couch watching movies before I needed to get ready for the dinner plans I had with Wanda. Everything was great with us, we both seemed happy but something happened while I was at dinner and the dynamic between us drastically changed. Bucky stopped speaking to me. The last time we exchanged words was a week ago. I've tried to talk to him but he would rush off in the opposite direction every time he saw me. He's even sleeping in a separate room, on a different floor of the compound. I only know that because after I woke up alone the next morning, I asked FRIDAY where Bucky was. After that, I no longer had access to his location. It felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I spent the entire day crying in my room.

I knew it was going to be tough being around the team, I didn't want them asking questions I didn't know the answer to. Wanda had picked up something was wrong but didn't pry. She told me she would be there for me when I was ready to talk. Luckily, Bucky was asked to go on a mission with Natasha and Sam. He hadn't been on a mission since I had been here but since he had no reason to stay behind anymore, I guess he jumped at the offer. They had been gone for five days so I had plenty of time to think about everything and figure out what I should do. The only person I knew that would possibly have an explanation for Bucky's behavior was Steve. I had an idea of what could have happened but it made me sick to my stomach to think about.

I knocked on the door, playing with my fingers nervously. I had no idea how this conversation was going to go but I knew it needed to be done and I wasn't going to change my mind about what I wanted. I hadn't realized the door opened until I felt him place his finger under my chin, lifting it so I could meet his gaze.

"Are you okay? I said your name a few times."

I stared at him, seeing the concerned look on his face. "I need to talk to you."

Steve nodded, letting me into his room. I sat on the edge of the bed. Steve shut the door, sitting down beside me, nudging my knee with his.

"What's going on? I can tell when you're upset."

I sighed, turning my body to face him. "You're my best friend right?"

Steve gave me an incredulous look. "I'm not even going to answer that question."

"I'm being serious."

"Of course I am."

I nodded, letting out a breath. "So if I were to ask you something, you'd be honest with me no matter how much it would hurt me, right?"

Steve frowned. "I've never lied to you and I don't plan to start now." He moved closer to me, taking my hand in his. "Talk to me."

"Is Bucky in a relationship with someone else?"

His eyes widened. "W-what?"

"Please tell me."

"Riley, that man loves you more than life itself. Why would you think there is someone else?"

"We haven't spoken in a week Steve. He's been avoiding me and has been sleeping in a different room." I blinked away tears before they fell down my cheek.

"What the hell. Why didn't you say something about this before?"

"Because of the question I just asked you." I stood up, running my hands through my hair before turning around to face him. "I can't be upset if he's with someone else. He had every right to move on and find love. And I'm sure what happened between us these last few weeks was because of the initial shock of seeing me again but if there is someone else, I need to know."

Steve thought for a moment before shaking his head. "He would have told me if he was seeing someone. But if he was, why would it come to light now?"

"Maybe he didn't want to hurt me and he realized I'm not the person he wants to be with anymore."

"Riley, this is crazy. There has to be another explanation for how he's acting."

I couldn't hold it in anymore, instead of fighting back the tears I let them go. I began to sob, feeling Steve catch me before I fell to my knees. He picked me up, placing me on his lap as he sat back down on the edge of the bed.

"I'm so sorry you feel this way. But I've been around Buck the last few years and he hasn't thought about anyone like that. The only woman that's been on his mind is you."

"T-then why d-does he avoid m-me." I tried to speak through my sobs. "If t-there wasn't a-anyone else, why t-treat me this way?"

Steve kissed the top of my head, wrapping his arms around me tightly. I wanted to believe his words, I wanted to believe Bucky wasn't with someone else but none of this made sense. How could you abruptly stop speaking to someone like that? Why couldn't he be an adult and just tell me what the hell was going on?

"I don't know Riley but we'll figure it out."

I leaned back so I could look at him. He wiped away the tears from my cheek. "I can't do this anymore Steve. I feel so out of place and alone. I know I have you and the rest of the team have been so kind to me but I can't handle this."

He frowned. "What are you saying?"

I closed my eyes, biting my lip to keep it from trembling. "I think I want to go back."

"Go back?"

I opened my eyes, staring into his blue ones. "I want to go back to 1950."