Chapter 24: Honest Talks

Susan and Sue stand in the kitchen putting away the remaining food that was left, Max and Lucas being outside in the backyard playing with Lady, throwing her the stick and her coming back with it.

Sue sips some of her wine while she watches Max and Lucas laugh together while Lucas throws the stick, Lady running full fledge across the backyard. "You have a gift."

Susan looks over at her, her wiping the counters. "What was that?"

"I guess a way with words, or a way of talking to people." Sue says. "You know how to get them critically thinking."

Susan nods, her going to stand besides Sue and pour herself a glass of wine. "Max used to be closed in so much, I worried about her because I feared she would not make any friends because of her personality. Not that she was bad she was just dismissive and aloof, she preferred to be alone. I wanted her to experience the high school dances, the proms, the hangouts, the boyfriends, all of it, because she deserves a normal life."

"It was hard getting her to where she is right now but it was worth it, and just like I talked to Lucas in the same way I talked to her. When you ask those surface questions they can never truly figure out what's going on with them until they dig deeper into their feelings. Yeah they might be scared to do it at first but in the end...in the end it'll be worth it."

Sue nods her head. "I know I was mad before but thank you Susan, thank you for being there for him for those six months. He needed that."

Susan smiles softly. "You and Charles raised a good strong son."

"And you raised a beautiful strong daughter, all on your own." Sue says, her going to look at Max, seeing how she tries to poke Lucas with the stick and him running away from her while laughing. "I just love how she praises you, how much she appreciates you and asks for you, checks up on you. The relationship is strong...and I see it."

Susan smiles, her looking at Max. "Yeah, she's my everything Sue." She nods. "Because I know through it all she is going to stick by me, she has, it doesn't matter the mistakes I made, she is always there." She says, seeing how Max smiles while looking down a little when Lucas tells her something. "Your boy is a little flirt though."

Sue laughs. "Man so much has changed. At first Lucas was all shy the only girls he would talk to was me and Erica...and that was a big if when it came to Erica." Sue starts, her and Susan laughing. "I mean of course when High School came he had trouble with girls in the wrong way but with Max....man I have never seen him like this." She smiles.

They both look at Lucas, seeing how his hands are in his pockets while he smiles and talks to Max, her obviously trying to dismiss him playfully while smiling, him smiling wider from her smile and continuing to talk to her. "He's in love with her." Sue confirms. "And I'm so glad it's with Max. I feared that he would get with someone that didn't care for him or he would just not get in a relationship at all and only talk to girls for sex. I was really afraid of that but your daughter came in and changed his whole world."

Susan laughs, her nodding while drinking some of her wine. "Well your son came in and changed her world. Trust me I haven't seen her like this before, look at her she's blushing." Susan states making Sue laugh. "I've never seen her blush, and honestly I am so glad our children found each other Sue. Max has been through so much, so much pain, and I want her to be happy, I want her to have a happy life, a life better than I had, and now....now she'll get that."

Sue smiles, her holding up her glass. "To happiness."

"To happiness." Susan clanks her glass with Sue, them beginning to drink.

"Go get it girl! Go get it!" Lucas claps, him crouching down when Lady runs back to him. "Good girl! That's a good girl yes you are! Yes you are!" He says in a playful tone while rubbing her, her getting on her back with her stomach out. "You want a belly rub?! Does the beautiful Lady want a belly rub?!"