Chapter 56: Court Trial part 2

Wide eyes.

That is what everyone has at the moment right now, at least the others who sit in the audience who knows the story of Max's Dad leaving when she was very young.

"Well this just got awkward really quick." Erica mentions after some time, breaking the silence.

Max and Lucas look over at Susan, still seeing her look aimlessly ahead of her with her arms crossed, her having a grimace on her face. "Mom—"

"Don't." Susan immediately says while shaking her head.

"Please give your testimony on what happened on September 9th, 1974." The judge mentions.

Susan closes her eyes briefly, her pursing her lips hard to try and hold back the tears, swallowing the lump in her throat before she slowly goes to open her eyes.

"It was ten at night, and I was just getting back from work." Bryson replies. "We had a few drinks at work, it was a Friday and we always have beers on Friday but Susan always liked to automatically assume that I had problems with drinking just because she would drink to be drunk." Bryson mentions. "She started yelling at me on how I always come back drunk every Friday and how I needed to spend more time with Max. I didn't care to hear it, I was the one providing for the household and I was tired and I was ready to get to bed."

"When I brushed passed her she took that as I was hitting her and she begin to hit at me! Now I am not going to just sit there and let her hit me so yes I started to defend myself, then....then she stabbed me, right in the chest and took my daughter away from me and just left and I was laying there bleeding out!" Bryson exclaims.

Gasps of shocks and chatter begins to be heard around the courtroom, Max and Lucas looking over at Susan with wide eyes while she shakes her head, going to wipe tears from her eyes while her eyes are closed.

"Misses Mayfield..." The judge starts. "Is that true?"

Susan shakes her head. "No your honor it isn't, his story isn't right."

"But you stabbed him?"

Susan clenches her jaw. "I did." She admits, the jury beginning to glance at each other.

"Please rise. And explain what happened from your perspective."

Susan goes to stand up, her taking a little shaky breath while everyone looks at her. "It was ten at night, and I was putting Max to bed. She..." Susan starts while pointing at Max. "She was only three years old at the time."

"How do you like your new pajamas?" Susan smiles at Max while Max jumps up on the bed with a bright smile, her wearing bright blue pajamas with hearts around them, her hair bouncing along with her.

"I love them! They are so soft!" Max replies adorably.

"You look adorable!" Susan smiles while tickling her, Max laughing and kicking her legs while Susan tickles her. "Okay it's time for bed sweetie."

"Can I sleep in here with you and Daddy?" Max questions.

Susan takes a little breath. "It's Friday night sweetie, Daddy is going to be really tired when he gets back."

"Okay." Max responds.

"But I will read you a story okay. Your pick." Susan smiles.

"Okay." Max smiles, her reaching for Susan and her walking over to her room.

"He got in after Max fell asleep shortly after, and there is a reason why I wouldn't let my own daughter sleep with me on Friday nights." Susan mentions.