87: Shoe, Shoe, Shoe!

Jeremy

A few hours have already passed. When is she going to stop looking for that darn shoe? Kanina pa kami naghahanap a.

"I'm tired already. Let's stop." I told her.

She knelt down in front of a trash can and lifted its lid. "Sige, ako na lang yung maghahanap kung pagod ka na." Sagot niya.

"Ano ba? Have pity on yourself, Amber. Kanina ka pa naghahanap." I reasoned out.

"I'm not going to stop until I find it. Kung ayaw mo nang tumulong, e di wag." She said without even looking at me.

"Hey, don't touch that!" I told her when she was about to rummage through the trash. She did not listen to me and did it anyway.

"Don't you even know how dirty that is?" I asked.

"Alam ko." Sabi niya, without even stopping to face me.

"Ganon ba talaga kaimportante sayo yung shoe na yun? You're willing to soil your hands?" Tanong ko ulit. She did not answer.

It really must be important to her. She's an heiress. Napakaarte pa niya. But she's willing to get out of her comfort zone to find that ugly shoe. This is Casper's fault. Bakit pa kasi niya pinagalitan si Amber?

"Alam ko na. Let's just buy a shoe that looks exactly like it. Casper will not have a single clue that its not the shoe that he gave to you." Sabi ko.

"Ano?" She asked. "You want me to lie to him? No way."

"Pareho lang namang sapatos yun a."

"Magkaiba yun. Just because it will look like it doesn't mean na kaya yung palitan. I want that one and I will trade a million-dollar shoe for that." She said before starting to rummage through another trash can.

I was wrong. Hindi yung sapatos yung mahalaga sa kanya. It's Casper.

"Ouch." She yelped.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm fine." Sinabi niya.

I walked towards her. "Did you get hurt?"

"Okay nga lang ako." She said, pressing her right hand.

"Let me see your hand." I took her hand and looked at it. Her index finger is bleeding. "What happened?"

"I accidentally touched a piece of a broken glass bottle." She explained.

"Let me treat it. Get away from the trash can. Baka ma-infect pa." I told her.

"No. Pano kung nandito pala yung shoe?"

"Ano ba! Kailan ka ba titigil? Do you want to get yourself killed? First, na-injure yung legs mo. Then your hand. At ngayon, even your finger got cut. Maawa ka naman sa sarili mo!" I yelled.

"Ginagawa ko 'to kasi naaawa na ko sa sarili ko. I'm about to die because of guilt! Everytime I think about that shoe, naaalala ko na naman yung expression ng mukha ni Casper kanina. I hurt him big time. So please... Don't try to stop me. I know what I'm doing."

I sighed. Pano ko ba siya mapapatigil? Oh, this is all Casper's fault. Bakit ba lagi an lang niyang sinasaktan si Amber?

Wait... Is she going to stop if Casper tells her to? I took my phone and texted

Casper. Sinabi ko sa kanya kung nasan kami and that Amber's hurt. Siguro naman pupunta yun dito.

I took a handkerchief out of my pocket and put it around her finger. "Press it. Para hindi na dumugo."

She did what she was told. She hugged her knees close to her chest and started crying. I just looked at her and gave her shoulder a pat. Wala na kong ibang magagawa bukod dun.