Chapter Twelve

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Serena asked Jefferson as he was getting ready to leave. He turned to her, a small smile playing on his face.

"I'll be fine." He chuckled, noticing how she was nervously wringing her hands. "I'll be back in a few days. Time works differently in different realms, so I might be gone for a day over there, but a month over here."

"A month?"

"Yes." He laughed as he grabbed his coat. "I promise I'll try to get back as soon as possible. Don't worry, you'll have Victor and Igor to keep you company." She nodded, bringing her gaze to the ground. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah. Just be careful, I still need you to take me home." She joked, making him laugh. "And I can't go back if you get stuck somewhere."

"I promise I won't do anything stupid." He held his hands up in defense. "I'll come back as soon as I'm done, make sure you don't have any more nightmares, then bring you back to your castle."

"Thank you, Jefferson."

"Anytime, princess." He smiled before Victor came into the room. He asked if Jefferson was ready, earning a nod from the portal jumper. The three went down stairs, where Igor was waiting for them.

Jefferson and Victor said their goodbyes, knowing they would see each other soon. Serena stood back, watching the two friends interact as she waited. After their goodbyes and a joke, Victor stepped aside as Jefferson turned to her.

"You be safe, okay?" She wanted to make sure he promised, even though he already had. He nodded, stepping forward and holding her arms. "And come back soon."

"I will, I promise." He kept his eyes on her, his blues locking with her browns. "Stay out of trouble. I don't want to come back and find the whole town after you." She chuckled, breaking eye contact.

Victor subtly rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest. "Igor, why don't you take Serena to get food. I'm sure she's very hungry." Igor nodded and stepped forward as Serena glanced back at him.

She turned back to Jefferson. "Be careful." She softly kissed his cheek before following Igor to the kitchen. Jefferson watched as she left, the feeling of her kiss lingering on his skin.

"Are you going to tell her when you get back?" Victor asked, making sure Serena was out of the room. Jefferson glared at him, remembering that Victor had seen the whole interaction.

"No, I'm not going to tell her at all." He answered with a sigh. "When I get back, I'll take her back to her sister, and she'll never have to see me again."

"You think that's what she wants?" Victor scoffed, knowing he wasn't going to win this argument, but he was going to try to get through Jefferson's thick head. "Have you been paying attention, at all? She wants to be with you."

"That's the last thing on her mind, Victor."

"You don't listen-"

"Enough." Jefferson snapped. Victor sighed, shaking his head as he held his hands up in surrender. "I have to go." Was all he said before he walked out the door.

Sam checked over herself in the mirror, making sure she looked okay for her date. Thursday came quicker than expected, and now, she was trying to look as nice as possible. She fluffed her hair a bit before applying another layer of lipstick, now understanding why Regina needed so much.

"I think I did okay." She complimented, smiling as she checked her reflection. It may have sounded crazy since she was alone in the room, but she honestly didn't care. She was too giddy to care if she sounded crazy.