Chapter Twenty-Two

"Rumpelstiltskin?" Jefferson called as he walked through The Dark Castle. He was ready for another assignment to take his mind off Serena. He missed her so much, but it was the best thing for her.

He found The Dark One in his study, spinning straw into gold. Rumpel barely looked up as he walked in, knowing that Jefferson would be coming.

"How's the missus?" He asked, keeping his eyes on the spinning wheel. Jefferson stopped in front of him, taking a deep breath. "I am expecting a "thank you" for setting you up with your true love."

"Well, you're not getting one."

"And why not?"

"I brought her back to her sister."

"So you did go through with your promise." Rumpel nodded, thinking for a moment. "I'm assuming you confessed your feelings to her."

"I did."

"And yet, you still brought her back?" Rumpel questioned, stopping the spinning wheel. "The feeling was mutual for her, did something go wrong?"

"No." Jefferson shook his head. "I just realized she would be better off with her sister."

"Better with The Evil Queen than with her true love?" Rumpel pressed. "Tell me, what made you go with this decision?"

"I did it to give her a better life."

"I doubt she sees it that way." Rumpel finally looked up, moving his hands away from his lap. "You did leave her when she needed you most." Jefferson ran his hands through his hair as he registered what he said.

"Wait, what? What does that mean?" He asked, pausing where he stood. "Do you know something? Is Serena okay?"

Rumpel giggled, standing up from his seat. "Well, let's just say it's not just going to be your princess anymore. She's pregnant." Jefferson's eyes went wide before he shook his head.

"No, that's not possible." He let out a breathy laugh. "We only slept together once. She can't be... She can't be pregnant." As soon as he said the word, he finally realized just how badly he screwed up.

If Serena was pregnant, Regina would make sure the baby never survived. And Serena would never know. She didn't deserve that. Neither did the child.

"It only takes one time, Hatter." Rumpelstiltskin said as Jefferson took a step back. "We both know what will happen to the baby if Regina finds out about it. I don't think anyone wants that to happen."

"Why do you care if the baby lives?"

"My life has been more than just making deals." Rumpel answered. "I may not care about much, but I'd hate to see the child die by the hands of Regina. It'd be a cruel fate for something that hasn't even been born yet."

"Didn't know you cared about children." Jefferson responded. Rumpelstiltskin walked over to Jefferson, stopping in front of him.

"There's a lot you don't know about me." He told Jefferson with a sigh. "Now, I suggest you go get your princess before Regina makes sure Serena never knows there was a baby to begin with." Jefferson nodded and walked towards the door, stopping as he reached for the handle.

"Do you really think Regina would do that to a child?"

"To keep her sister to herself? There's nothing she wouldn't do."

"Excuse me," Emma said to the man at the front desk as she and Sam walked into the town hall. "Mr. Krzyszkowski?" She mispronounced his name as she read it off the plaque on the desk.

"It's "Krzyszkowski." He corrected, standing up and walking over to her. "Everyone calls me "K."

"Mr. K, I am Sheriff Swan." Emma smiled, turning to Sam. "This is Sam Mills. I'm hoping to look at the birth certificates of Ava and Nicholas Zimmer."