Chapter Fifty-Two

Once Serena and Hook got to Wonderland, a shiver ripped down her spine. It had been years since she had last been to Wonderland, and she intended to stay away from there. But now Jefferson needed her and she was going to find him.

"Alright, love." Hook sighed, looking around the place. "Where do we go?"

"My mother will find you." She told him, eyeing the blue caterpillar, who hadn't noticed her. "I have some business that my sister cannot know about. You remember what to do."

"Find Cora and rip her heart out."

"Meet me back here in less than three days." She said with a sigh. "If I'm not back, I'm probably dead. If I am, take Claude's body with you, so you can't get back."

"That seems fair." He nodded. "Exactly where are you going?"

"I need to find something. It shouldn't take me long, but it might be dangerous."

"Would your sister approve?"

"That doesn't matter." She shook her head. "I'm done following her rules. I'll see you in three days." He nodded and started walking down the path as she went another direction.

She walked aimlessly for a while, not stopping for anything. She realized she would need food soon, but that didn't stop her. The one thing that did was the White Rabbit almost rushing past her.

He doubled back, stopping once he saw her. "My apologies, miss. I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I believe I know you. Your husband is the Mad Hatter, correct?"

"You know him?" She asked in a hopeful voice.

"Uh, technically no." He shook his head, stuttering with his words. "But I know where he lives. But the woods to get there are a bit dangerous."

"I don't care how dangerous it is." She told him, bending down to his level. "Where is he? I need to see him."

He pointed in a random direction and her eyes followed. "That way. On the other side of the Tulgey Woods."

"Thank you, rabbit." She smiled and stood up, moving quickly in that direction and not listening to the rabbit trying to tell her the Tulgey Woods were dangerous.

The sky grew darker as she got closer to the Tulgey Woods and fog started to cover the ground. The fog held a weird smell, one that she couldn't quite place. It was getting late and she was getting a bit drowsy, but she didn't mind.

She continued walking, noting the warning signs that were nailed into the trees. It felt like eyes were watching her, studying her every move with a scrutinizing gaze. It wasn't long until she heard loud purring around her and a giant smile appeared in front of her.

The cat that followed was even bigger and more strange, its fur a bright purple with blue streaks. "Hello." He stretched out the word as she backed up a bit.

"Hello there." She curtsied, trying to be polite. "My name's Serena. I'm looking for the Mad Hatter's house."

"That odd man?" He asked, tilting his head. "He's always rambling about a family that doesn't exist."

"They exist, just in a different realm." She told him, standing up straight. "I'm his wife. I'm looking for him. It's getting dark, so if you could help me, I'd deeply appreciate it."

"Of course." His smile grew as he moved behind her, gently pushing her forward. She started walking, growing more tired with every moment. "Poor girl. You must be exhausted."

"I'm fine." She yawned, stumbling back into him. He caught her with a laugh before pushing her forward a bit. She didn't start walking though, her body feeling more heavy than it had the whole day.