Chapter Thirty-Four

Regina was less than happy about Jefferson and Serena's engagement, making it very clear how she felt about it. She didn't say anything though, trying to be supportive for Serena. It was getting harder to leave Jefferson alone since the two started being extra cuddly with each other.

Especially in the mornings during breakfast. Serena would practically cling to Jefferson with a sickeningly sweet smile on her face. Regina had to hold back a gag the entire time, watching the two joking and flirting with each other.

"Morning, Regina." Serena greeted her with a smile. Regina looked up, noticing the Hatter wasn't with her. Serena sat down across from her, not bothering to talk about the man who's usually all over her.

"Good morning." Regina responded with a simple nod. "Where's the Hatter?"

"He had to work for a bit." Serena shrugged, taking a bite out of an apple. "He thought it was best I didn't go with him since it's getting closer to my due date." Regina nodded and looked away, grateful she didn't have to hear the two teasing each other.

"That's too bad."

"I know you don't like him, Regina." Serena sighed, dropping the smile. "You don't have to act like you do when he's not here, but please just try to be civil to him. I love him, I don't want you two trying to kill each other. You're my sister, and I want you two to get along."

"Fine." Regina said with a sigh. "I'll try not to kill him. But I make no promises."

"Thank you, Regina." Serena gave her a soft smile. "That means a lot. I love you both more than anything. I'm not asking you to love him, I'm just asking you to be nice to him."

"You're lucky you're my sister."

-Storybrooke-

Sam sat behind Emma's desk as she brought David a mug of tea, hoping it would calm his nerves. Emma was about to start questioning him, and asked Sam to stay for support. She agreed, only because she knew Emma needed her there.

David thanked Emma for the tea before handing a cup of coffee to Sam, knowing it might be a while before she would get to go home.

"I hope Kathryn is somewhere warm." David said with a sigh. "Not out in the cold."

"Like you left me?" Sam questioned, folding her arms over her chest. "Mary-Margaret said she wanted to come find me, but you told her that I would find my way back."

"You did, didn't you?"

"David." Emma stopped him, making him turn to face her. "I think you might need to start worrying about yourself a little bit more than Kathryn right now." She steered the conversation back to what was going on. "Your wife is missing. You are in love with another woman."

"There's this unexplained phone call..." Sam added, handing the phone records to Emma. Emma showed them to him, keeping the paper in her hands.

"I know. I know, I just..." He paused with a sigh. "I can't explain why it says that. I didn't do anything to my wife."

"I'm pretty good at spotting a liar, and honestly, liars have better material." Emma told him. Sam sighed, shaking her head. "You both should go home."

"I can go?" He asked, looking up at her as she started walking away.

"We don't even know if there's a crime yet." Emma answered, opening the door to her office. "Sam, I'm sorry I dragged you into this. You two should go get some sleep. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow."