Chapter Seven

The next morning, Jefferson woke up to Serena still curled into his side. He decided to let her sleep, he had noticed she hadn't slept well after they got back from Wonderland. He planned on letting her sleep the day before, but then the three men that he had pissed off in the past found them.

Why did he care? Why should he care if she didn't get any sleep? Once he left her with Rumpelstiltskin, she would be his problem. Jefferson would leave and continue his life by himself.

Although, he had to admit, it was nice to have someone to keep him company. Even if she did everything to get on his nerves. She had proven several times that she was more than capable of taking care of herself.

She had surprised him on multiple occasions, proving that she may have been raised in a castle, but she didn't need someone keeping an eye on her. If he didn't work alone, she would've made a good partner.

What? No. He wouldn't think of bringing her with him. He had a job to do and he wasn't going to go against The Dark One. Besides, living the way he did wasn't the best way to make partnerships.

He tried having a long-term partner before, but it ended in betrayal and heartbreak. He wasn't going through that again. He spent enough time, making sure he wouldn't have to work with anyone. Serena was no exception.

Serena was a princess and a job, nothing more. He couldn't get attached to her; he wouldn't get attached to her. Besides, she wouldn't be able to handle his lifestyle. She may be able to stay a few days in the woods, but she wouldn't be able to be on the run her whole life because of him.

Jefferson stayed there on the floor for a while, trying to stay as still as possible so she could sleep. After a few failed attempts at going back to sleep himself, he carefully picked her up and set her down on the bed.

He then went to the window to see that the storm had cleared. He stayed at the window, observing people as they passed, going on with their daily lives. He stood there for a while before going to wake up Serena.

"Serena?" He gently shook her shoulder in an attempt to wake her. "Serena, you need to wake up." He said a little louder. He continued to shake her shoulder, each time a little harder than the last. When she didn't wake up, he knew something was wrong and she wasn't going to wake up.

He wasn't sure what was happening, but he knew magic was involved. Rumpelstiltskin would be furious if Serena had picked up some magical virus from Wonderland. Jefferson wasn't sure how. If she had gotten a virus, how did he not?

Was it because he was so used to being in different realms? Maybe it didn't affect him because he was used to it. He wasn't sure. He only knew he had to help her before something bad happened.

He quickly put their stuff together and slung the bag over his shoulder before gently bringing her into his arms. He then walked over to the door, opening it and slipping out into the hallway before sneaking out of the building.

He found an unattended horse and looked down at Serena, knowing she would be really mad if he stole a horse. He shook it off and went over to the horse, untying its lead before lifting Serena up. He sat behind her, holding her up as he took off with the horse.

"I know you're going to kill me, but I'm doing this to save your life." He told Serena as they left the village. He hoped Rumpelstiltskin would at least help her and fix whatever was wrong. He let out a sigh as he continued down the road, slightly missing the sound of Serena's sarcastic comments.

"What happened?" The Huntsman asked as Regina appeared in her room. "Did he tell you anything?" At that point, even he was worried about Serena. She always came back after she escaped, he assumed this time would be no different.