Chapter Thirty-Six

The wedding planning went smoothly, mainly because Serena had everything planned out. Jefferson was a little shocked about how much she had actually thought out, since she had everything down to the last detail.

The palace buzzed as everyone prepared for Jefferson and Serena's wedding, excitement heavy in the air. It was the first wedding since Regina married King Leopold without the sense of dread blocking the happiness.

"This is gonna be wonderful." Serena beamed as the seamstresses made adjustments to her dress. She felt like doing cartwheels with how much energy she had. This was going to be the best day of her life, and no one was going to take that away from her.

"You look beautiful, miss." The seamstress smiled softly. Serena thanked her with a smile as she looked over her dress. It was a beautiful off-the-shoulder gown made of satin with lace covering the skirt and bodice. The dress was embroidered with elegant floral designs.

Grace let out a quiet whine at the lack of attention, since her mother was busy getting ready. She was only a few months old, but she was already quite the addition to the family. She made sure everyone noticed her, whether they liked it or not.

Serena laughed quietly and asked one of the servants to bring Grace to her. Before they could do anything, The Huntsman picked her up in his arms and started gently swaying her.

Ever since she had been born, he claimed himself as her personal guard. He was protective with Serena, but he had gotten even more protective with Grace. She loved him as an uncle, always bringing a smile to Serena's face.

The Huntsman was so gentle with her, making sure she was always taken care of. He would keep an eye on her while Serena and Jefferson weren't around, making sure any servant that was near her would be careful.

"Thank you, Huntsman." Serena smiled at their interaction. He nodded, keeping his eyes on the baby the entire time. "I appreciate it."

"Of course. I'll always care for the little one when I can." He said, bouncing Grace a bit. Serena knew the bond they formed wasn't because of Regina. Or the fact that Regina held his heart. He genuinely cared about Grace, and vowed to protect her with his life.

"You're amazing." Serena turned back to the mirror as the seamstress finished the last touches of her dress. The Huntsman walked over, giving half his attention to Grace while giving the other to Serena.

"How are you feeling?"

"Nervous, excited, happy. A mix of all of it." She let out a breathy laugh, stepping away from the mirror. Before she could fully turn away, The Genie's face appeared in the glass, surrounded by blue smoke. "How's Regina?"

"She's a little frustrated with Jefferson, but otherwise alright." He lied with a nod. Regina was pacing in her room, wearing a dark blue dress with black accents. The anger with Jefferson had gotten worse since Grace was born, but she never brought the child into it.

Grace was her niece. She wasn't going to get angry with her niece just because she hated the child's father. Grace was innocent. That didn't mean Regina couldn't send glares at Jefferson from across the dining hall.

"Of course, she is." Serena sighed, looking down and shaking her head. She felt a hand rest on her shoulder, and looked up to see The Huntsman with a supportive smile.

"She'll warm up to him."

"It's been almost a year, she's not warming up to him anytime soon." Serena told him as Grace started whining for her. She gently took the baby in her arms, rocking her back and forth. "If Grace wasn't his child, she'd have killed him by now."

"You're right." The Huntsman gave her a short nod as she focused her attention on the crying baby in her arms. "Here, let me take her. You need to finish getting ready, and you don't want to clean tears and spit off your dress."