Chapter Forty-Nine

Serena watched Snow from a distance, making sure she kept her promise to Regina. Regina had been worried about Snow since the night they walked in on Regina and Daniel. The worrying had gotten so bad that she asked Serena to keep an eye on her.

Snow was standing by a tree, admiring the flowers that were almost in bloom. She reached out to touch it as Cora walked over, giving Serena a sense of dread.

"Careful, sweetheart." Serena heard Cora tell the young girl as she drew her hand back. Serena backed into the shadows, hoping Snow would be able to keep her promise. "A flower is a delicate thing. Be gentle. You want it to grow and not pluck it before it's time. Serena, you can come out. I know you're there."

"Sorry, Mother." Serena sighed, stepping forwards. Cora turned to her with a fake smile, one that she only gave Serena when they were in front of someone important.

"It's alright." She chuckled before turning to Snow, who had a fearful look on her face. "You needn't fear me. I'm only trying to help. Perhaps you can be the flower girl at the wedding. Serena is already the maid of honor, so it seems appropriate. I can already see how close you girls have become." She led Snow to a nearby bench and sat down, gesturing for both girls to do the same. "She's going to make a fine mother for you."

"She is kind to me." Snow told her, sitting close to Serena. "They both are."

"Indeed." Cora smiled at her. "It warms my heart how you three share everything, already." Her smile seemed to fade at the words, like she wished to have that kind of relationship with girls. "Perhaps one of you could share something with me. Why has Regina pulled away from me?"

"What do you mean, mother?" Serena faked a smile as Cora's eyes flicked between the two girls.

"A mother knows her daughter." Cora answered with a sigh. "Like you, you've never appreciated me. Regina has pulled away. I love you both so much, but she's not letting me help her. And I- I know you're both unhappy. Has she said something to either of you? I'd do anything to make her happy."

"You'd do anything?" Snow asked, finally turning to her.

"Of course, dear. For both my girls." She answered as Serena sighed. She knew Cora didn't mean that. At least for her anyway. Even if there was some small part of her that actually loved Serena, that still didn't change how horrible she was. "You know, I talked to the King about your mother. He told me how much she loved you. Losing her must've been so hard."

"It was."

Cora sighed at Snow's response. "Hearing him, I realized he might as well have been talking about me and Regina. And I don't want us to lose each other. If only I could show her how I feel. That no matter what, all I want is her happiness."

"Then don't make her get married." Snow shot out of her seat as Serena tried to stop her. Cora looked up at the girl in confusion.

"I'm sorry?"

"She doesn't love my father." Snow continued, shaking her head. "She loves someone else. She made me promise not to tell. But she'll lose you. She can't lose her mother. No one should."

"Oh! Sweet Snow, it's alright." Cora said as the girl sat down, letting Cora stroke her hair. "She won't lose me. You can tell me. You must tell me." That's when Snow told her everything. From seeing Regina and Daniel at the stables to her promise to Regina. "Thank you for telling me."

"You can't make her marry my father." Snow repeated, feeling like a weight had been lifted off her chest. Serena stayed quiet, knowing Cora would have some questions for her afterwards. Cora nodded and one of Snow's servants walked in, telling her that her father needed her.