Chapter Fifty-Eight

"Snow! I thought we agreed what had to be done, instead you show the Queen mercy?" Charming asked as he and Serena followed Snow into the castle. "She doesn't deserve it. You heard her. She's completely unrepentant."

"What I heard was a woman who didn't want to appear weak in her final moments." Snow turned around to face them.

"I've seen her kill. I've seen her terrorize." Charming shook his head. "Every moment I've seen of her has been one of evil."

"Exactly! That you've seen." Serena interrupted, crossing her arms over her chest. "You know the Evil Queen. We knew Regina."

"Why are you even here?" Charming questioned, turning to her. "Your biased opinion is clouding your judgment."

Snow shook her head before responding. "She saved my life when I was a little girl and she's taken care of Serena since she was born."

"That was years ago and she ended up cursing Serena, so she can't have children." Charming said, not seeing the pain flash across Serena's face.

"She changed before. Why can't she change back?" Snow asked him.

"You can't be serious." He looked between the two women. "You want to rehabilitate the Queen?"

"Maybe showing her mercy is the first step." Snow told him, trying to convince him. It didn't really matter if he was on board, she was the one who ruled the kingdom. She made the decisions.

"But if you fail, the entire safety of the kingdom is at stake." He reasoned, even though he knew she wouldn't budge. Once her mind was made up, there was no changing it. "We cannot take that risk."

"You're so sure of her black soul?" Snow asked him. "Sure enough to kill? Because there's no going back from killing."

He sighed. "If you think this is the right thing to do, then it's what we shall do. But know that your path is one that we cannot come back from either." Snow gave him a soft smile before looking between the two.

"I'm going to take a walk." She announced with a sigh. Serena nodded as Grace ran into the room.

"Mama!" A smile spread across Serena's face as the little girl ran towards her. Serena picked her up and hugged her, spinning Grace in her arms.

"Hey, sweetie." She greeted and set her down. "How are you settling in?"

"Okay. Most of the guards here don't want to have a tea party with me." Grace's face fell a bit as she looked down. "I miss the Huntsman. He always had tea parties with me. When he wasn't busy with Aunt Regina."

"I know, Gracie." Serena bent down, tilting Grace's chin up. "I'm sure the Huntsman misses you as well. Who else would plan the best tea parties ever with him?"

Charming sighed as he watched the two interacting, realizing that Serena was nothing like her sister. Serena held a kindness in her, but could still hold her ground if she needed to. "Why don't you guys ask Red if she wants to have a tea party?" He suggested. "I'm sure she'd love to get to know you."

"Really?" Grace's face lit up as she turned to her mother, who was staring at Charming in confusion. "Can we, Mama?"

"If she's not too busy, I don't see why not." Serena smiled and stood up, silently thanking Charming for finding Grace a new friend. She knew Grace was lonely since moving to the new castle.

Since the Huntsman had to stay at Regina's castle, Grace didn't have any more playmates. And she didn't have any friends her age, all the guards preferred to ignore her than play with her. The only real friend she had was her grandfather, but he was usually more focused on Regina.