Chapter Sixty-Six

It had been a few years since Jefferson had left home and he was doing alright for himself. He continued stealing, finding it the only way to make money. He was better at it now, his natural talent for it only enhanced as he became more experienced.

He constantly thought of his mother, wondering if she was okay. The thought of her being dead made his stomach churn, but he never gave himself much time to think about it.

He had become very popular in nearby villages, his reputation both bad and good. He was charming, ambitious, everything that made the ladies around him swoon. And yet, he never thought once about forming relationships with them.

He occasionally spent the night with them, but disappeared before they woke up. He still enjoyed every moment of it, but he stayed true to his word in keeping the idea of marriage out of his mind.

He walked through the newest town he came across, watching people as they passed by, occasionally pickpocketing the ones who looked particularly wealthy. He made a mental note to come back every once in a while to get more money.

He was hardly paying attention to his surroundings... until he felt a hand sticking into his pocket. Someone was trying to steal from him. That wasn't a smart decision.

He whipped around, grabbing the person's hand as it was leaving his pocket. He saw a woman around his age, her eyes wide like a deer so frightened it couldn't move. But the longer he looked at her, he realized there was no fear in her eyes. She wasn't afraid of getting caught.

"Sorry, I accidently bumped into you." She smiled sweetly, trying to wiggle her arm out of his grasp.

"Then why are my coins in your hand?" He asked, gesturing to her clenched fist. She sighed, her smile dropping as she relaxed her hand, letting him take the coins back. "Thank you."

"I don't know why you're acting like you're all righteous. I saw you stealing from that couple over there." She gestured to an older couple that was now standing by a cart. She then turned around, pointing in another direction. "And that man. And..."

"Alright, enough." He shushed her, pulling her away from the crowd. "What do you want? The coins? Is that what it takes to get you to stop talking?"

"Rude. But I will take that offer."

"Not a chance." He responded, shaking his head. "Who are you?"

"I'm Scarlett. Scarlett Vale. Renowned thief and adventurer. Who are you?"

He looked at her with pride in his eyes. "Jefferson. Thief and uh... charmer of ladies?" She raised her eyebrows, struggling not to laugh at him. In reality, he didn't really have anything to call himself aside from his name.

"I think you should work on that." She stifled a laugh, breaking the serious demeanor she previously held.

"Unlike you, I don't care so much about reputation. I'm just trying to survive."

"Well, if you ever decide you want a little adventure, I'll be here." Her offer was tempting to him, but one word stood out the most. Adventure. He hadn't done anything fun in a long time. It wouldn't hurt to let loose for once. She started to turn away, only moving a few feet before he called her back.

"What do you mean 'adventure?"

She shrugged, "I guess you'll just have to wait and see."

-Storybrooke-

In the middle of the woods, Rumpelstiltskin held the Dark One's dagger and medallion in one hand, his cane in the other. He let the medallion drop to the ground, watching it fall. He didn't feel bad about his revenge costing Serena's life.