Chapter Six

Jefferson and Serena walked through the town, ignoring any people they came across. They found a marketplace and wandered around, looking for food. Fortunately, Serena brought money from the palace so she could buy food.

The sky was turning gray, so they knew they didn't have long to get food. They also knew they had to find shelter when the storm actually did come. Getting stuck outside in the rain wasn't something either of them wanted.

"Y'know, I had a better idea for getting food." Jefferson scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. Serena rolled her eyes as she walked back over to him, after buying a few apples. She threw one to him and he put it in his bag as she spoke.

"Stealing apples is not a better idea for getting food." She countered, glaring at him. He shrugged and the two continued down the road. The sound of horses coming towards them made the two turn around to see Regina's guards entering the village.

"C'mon." Jefferson said, grabbing Serena's arm and ducking behind a cart. She eyed him in confusion as he covered her mouth. After the guards passed and left the village, Jefferson let go of her and she pushed him to the ground.

"What was that?" She questioned as he struggled back to his feet. "Why didn't you let me go with them? I could've gotten a ride home and you would never have to see me again." He had to come up with a lie quickly.

"Those guards," He gestured to the direction they had gone. "Were doing rounds. They don't stop at the palace. And believe me, they wouldn't have stopped there for you." He wasn't entirely wrong. They were only there to keep the villages in check. They were the lower level guards that didn't care about the royal family.

Ones that didn't care about Serena's well being.

"And? I'm the princess." Serena countered, still very angry at him. "They take orders from me." She emphasized the words 'they' and 'me' as she gestured to herself. He scoffed, shaking his head as he turned away from her in disbelief.

"You think they care?" He questioned, knowing just how horrible guards can be. He had encountered enough guards to know how horrible they were. "As long as they don't know who you are, they won't care. Even if you try to tell them."

"And what about you, huh?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means I know you don't care." She accused as his face dropped. "I know you only care about going on with your life so you never have to see me again." She huffed as she felt droplets of water falling on her skin, telling them both that the rain was starting.

"Let's go." He sighed, gently reaching for her arm and guiding her to a nearby inn while the rain got harder, soaking them both. They went inside where a woman was sitting at a desk, looking out the window. "Excuse me, do you have any rooms available? Two beds, if possible." He asked, trying to be as polite as possible.

The woman nodded with a bored expression as she gave them a room key. Serena took out a few gold coins and handed it to her, thanking her as she and Jefferson walked towards their room. He unlocked the door without a word and went inside.

The room was small, two small beds leaned against the wall, a couch on the other side of the room, a dresser tucked in the corner and a fireplace opposite of the couch. The walls were dark wood and the wooden floor boards were old and creaky.

Serena sighed as she followed Jefferson inside. She closed the door behind her and went over to one of the beds, sitting down facing the wall. She heard his footsteps behind her as he walked over to the other bed and kicked off his shoes.

He let out a breath as he ran his hand through his newly wet hair and stared out the window as the rain got harder. She slipped her shoes off, wrapping her arms around herself to keep warm as the cold air brushed against her skin.