Chapter Sixty-Nine

Scarlett waited for Jefferson to come back, wondering if something happened and he had lost his life. She knew it was likely, he was breaking into the Dark One's hut. Usually those who went in never returned. But she hoped this time would be different.

She paced around the tree lining, careful not to be seen by Rumpelstiltskin. She had a deal with him, she would bring Jefferson to meet him, they would start working together until the time came where Rumpel needed him.

She wasn't too keen on having a partner, but Rumpelstiltskin told her it would be worth it. She didn't exactly know why Jefferson was so important to his plan, but she didn't question it. He was a very secretive person so it's no surprise he didn't tell her. Anything that would interfere with his plan was immediately considered a threat.

"Everything alright?" She jumped a bit, startled when she heard Jefferson's voice behind her. She spun around to face him, a relieved smile spreading across her face.

"You scared me." She walked up to him, scanning over him to see he had no injuries. "Did you get the hat?"

He showed her the box that contained the hat, a small smile on his face. "Is this what you were talking about?"

"You got it!" Her smile grew as she threw her arms around his neck in a hug. "How?" She pulled away from him, her hands resting on his shoulders.

"I'm a better thief than you think." He shrugged and set the box on the ground. "So how does this work?" He looked up at her, his hand resting on the clasp to open it.

"Just open the box." He did as she said, seeing the hat inside. He ran his fingers over the worn out fabric before pulling it out of the box.

"How is this supposed to get us to another realm?" He inspected the hat for a moment before looking up at her. "It doesn't seem like we can fit inside."

She laughed quietly and took the hat from him. "You'll see." She gestured for him to follow her, moving away from Rumpel's cottage.

He followed her to a clearing in the woods, a confused look on his face. "Where are we going?"

"You ask too many questions." She glanced over at him before stopping in the middle of the clearing. "Stand back." She tossed the hat on the ground, seeing him take a step back out of the corner of her eye. The hat fell to the ground, as a normal hat would.

Jefferson looked up at her in confusion, his eyes flicking between the hat and her. "Seriously? What was that supposed to...." He trailed off his sentence as he watched the hat start to spin on its own. He felt the wind pick up, collecting dust and leaves as purple smoke formed around the hat.

"I told you it would work." Scarlett smiled at him and took a step back, enjoying his surprised face. "Come on, the portal won't stay open very long." She noticed the hesitant look on his face and sighed. "Want me to hold your hand?"

He glared at her and stepped forward. "I'm fine."

"Then stop being a baby and jump in."

"You first." He looked over at her, seeing her roll her eyes and run forward before jumping into the portal. He hesitated for a moment before jumping in after her, pushing his fears to the back of his mind. Here goes nothing...

-Storybrooke-

"People of Storybrooke." David practiced his speech in the mirror as Serena tried to call Jefferson. Henry watched David, looking back at Serena every once in a while. "I know we're trapped again, and things look bleak, but they're not." David sighed, running his hands through his hair.