Chapter Forty-Eight

Serena stood in the gardens, admiring a rose bush as a young Snow White walked towards her. She was careful about it, trying not to bother Serena. "It's alright, dear. I don't bite." She smiled, turning to the young girl.

"Forgive me. I was heading to the stables." She said, emerging from the shadows. Serena turned to her, instantly realizing who the child was. "I'm Snow. Are you Regina's sister?"

"Yes. My name is Serena." She let go of the flower and walked over to Snow. "You said you were going to the stables? It's a bit late, isn't it?"

"Your sister told me I had to get back on the horse." Snow explained, holding up the saddle. Serena had heard about how Regina saved Snow from the horse that went wild. "I wanted to try to ride again."

"It's not safe to ride alone at night." Serena said with a quiet laugh. "You could get hurt. Let me come with you. It's been a while since I've taken Willow out for a ride." Snow nodded with a smile as Serena led her towards the stables.

They talked the whole way, mostly about Snow's life at the palace or how Regina saved her. Serena had to admit, Snow was a pretty good kid. It was sweet how she got so excited about the things she would talk about. Like the color of the flowers in the garden her mother had planted.

When they got to the stables, Snow stopped as the saddle slipped out of her hands. Serena looked up to see what was going on, only to find Regina and Daniel kissing. They turned to the two, clearly caught in the middle of something.

"Snow!" Regina gasped, quickly moving away from Daniel. "Serena, what are you doing?"

"You said to get back on the horse and your sister wanted to come with me." Snow answered as tears filled her eyes. Her gaze landed on Daniel, who was still unsure about what to do. "What are you doing with him?"

"Snow, I can explain." Regina said before Snow ran off, leaving the three of them behind. "No, no, no. Snow, Snow! Serena, we have stop her before she tells mother." Regina ran out with Serena, trying to find the girl.

"On it." Serena nodded, following her down the path and calling Snow's name. They continued to chase her until she tripped, letting them catch up to her. "Snow! Are you okay?" They bent down, carefully picking up a crying Snow.

"No, no." She shook her head before turning to Regina. "Why were you kissing that man in the stable? You're to marry my father. You're to be my mother."

"Snow, please, listen to me." Regina said softly, tilting the girl's chin to look at her. "Hey, your father, King Leopold, he's a kind and fair man. But I don't love him."

"I don't understand." Her eyes widened. "Why not?"

"Love doesn't work that way." Regina told her, making her even more confused. "Love, true love, is magic. And not just any magic, the most powerful magic of all. It creates happiness."

"And that man in the stables, you love him?" Snow nodded as she processed what Regina had said.

"With all my heart."

"Then you must marry him." Snow said with a smile, making Regina laugh. "I will go tell father right away." She stood up and started walking away, only to be stopped by Regina.

"No. No, no, no, no. You can't."

"Why not?" Snow asked. "Surely he'll understand." Serena sighed, knowing there were much bigger problems than the King. Not everyone would be so supportive about Regina marrying the stable boy.

"Perhaps. But not everyone will." Regina told the young girl. "My mother, for one, she'll stand in the way."

"That's why you're running." Snow nodded in understanding.