Chapter Fifty-Seven

Regina sat in her cell, staring out the window at the crowd that had gathered for her execution. She could hear the faint cheers from the people as they waited for Snow and Charming to arrive, so they could kill her.

"You have a visitor." A guard announced, making Regina turn in her seat. The guard moved aside, revealing Serena in navy blue pantsuit with an open skirt and matching riding hood. Her hair was tied back in a half-up half-down style. She also wore the same blue jewel that Jefferson had gotten her so many years ago.

"Ah, my dear sister. What can I do for you?" Regina turned away from her, the iciness apparent in her voice.

"I wanted to speak with you." Serena moved forward, stopping at the bars that separated them. "I've tried to convince the Prince that the execution isn't necessary, but he won't budge. Snow has been more understanding, but it's already been decided."

"I figured when I saw the cheering crowd waiting for my demise." Regina looked out the window, still seeing the people who used to be her subjects.

"I'm sorry, Regina. I had no choice." Tears filled Serena's eyes as she saw the pain on her sister's face. "I had to protect Grace. She's my main priority."

"I understand." Regina lied, still staring off into space. Serena stayed quiet for a moment before letting out a sigh.

"Where is Jefferson's hat?" She asked, gripping the bars with her gloved hands. Regina finally turned to her with a small smile. "I know you left him in Wonderland. You shouldn't have sent me to Wonderland if you didn't want me to find him."

"Then I'm sure you already know."

"Already know what?"

"That he was killed not long after you returned." Regina watched as Serena's face dropped. "Word travels fast and once they found out he was married to the one who helped kill the Queen of Hearts, they killed him as a way of revenge."

"You're lying." Serena shook away the tears forming in her eyes.

Regina laughed. "Am I? I'll make sure to tell him you said hi when I get to the afterlife."

"Regina, this doesn't have to be your end." Serena sighed, wiping her face. "You don't have to lie, to kill, to torture anymore. You've lost. So why don't you want to accept help?"

"As you said, Snow and her Prince have already decided my fate."

"Show them regret for what you've done." Serena pleaded as Regina stood up and walked over to her. "The pain you have caused. Show them you can change. They will spare you. Make them see the Regina that I know. The sister who just wants love."

"I think you're right." Regina gave her a sad smile. "Thank you, Serena." Serena let out a sigh of relief as one of the guards told her it was time for the execution.

It wasn't long until Serena sat next to Snow and Charming, waiting for the guards to bring Regina. Their conversation replayed in her head, over and over again. Grace was in the castle since Serena didn't want her to see her aunt potentially getting killed.

She just hoped Regina had listened to her.

Henry was at Serena's side, watching as the guards led Regina through the crowd of people who came to watch. Serena could tell he was nervous, even though he had the same talk with Regina.

A single guard chained Regina to the post in the middle of the crowd, a way for everyone to see what was happening. She had a blank look on her face as she looked around, her gaze almost instantly landing on Henry and Serena.