Chapter Twenty-Three

Regina paced around her room, trying to think of what to do. She had cast a small spell on Serena at dinner the night before, confirming her fears. Serena was pregnant. She was going to kill Jefferson when she got her hands on him.

He did this.

If he had just left her alone, Serena would have just come home after the party, like she usually did. She never would have gone to the other realms, never would've been Rumpel's target, and never would've gotten pregnant.

"What do I do?" She asked, turning to the mirror on her wall, knowing the Genie would be there. Well, he wasn't technically a genie anymore, not after his wish backfired on him. He was there of course, he always was.

"You could find the father."

"And do what? I spent so long trying to find him and get rid of him." Regina told him, turning to look at the mirror. "I can't let him near her again. Besides, whatever he told her really upset her. I haven't seen her cry this much since mother killed her horse."

"Still, it may lift her spirits." He shrugged. "You know he is the only way to make her happy again. He's her true love-"

"No!" Regina snapped, stopping in her tracks. "Don't even say it. I'll find a way to make her happy without him. And I'll get rid of the child without her knowing it ever existed."

"Is that really the best decision?" He asked, earning a glare from her. "She'll find out one day and when she does, she'll never forgive you."

"That's a price I'm willing to pay."

Serena and The Huntsman walked through the woods, neither of them saying a word to the other. He kept his eyes on the ground, except when he would look up to make sure she was okay.

"I could stand here and pretend nothing is wrong, or you could tell where you've been for the past few months and my stress levels will go down." He said with a sigh as he looked up at her. She was walking in front of him, so he wasn't able to see her facial expressions.

"If you must know, I went traveling the different realms, seeing everything they had to offer." She looked over her shoulder, faking a smile. "I thought I had fallen in love, but I was wrong."

"Sometimes these things can be deceiving." The Huntsman sighed as he followed her. She bent down, picking a flower and looking over it.

"Have you ever been in love, Huntsman?" She asked, never looking away from the flower. He paused, not sure what to say. "You don't have to answer. I know it's none of my business." He nodded as she continued walking, the air becoming silent around them.

He didn't say anything as he followed after her. "I may not be able to empathize with you, but I will listen. Know you have a friend in me."

"Given that there's a high chance you'll tell Regina, I don't think so."

"I wouldn't betray your trust like that."

Serena turned to him, a small smile on her face. "She has your heart. If she wants you to give my secrets, she has the power to make you. I can't take that chance."

"Of course." He nodded as she turned back to the path. She was about to start walking away when a noise behind her caught her attention. She spun around to see The Huntsman on the ground and Jefferson standing over him.

"What are you doing here?"

"You would not believe how long it took to find you, then set everything up, then wait for you to get here." He looked up at her with a sigh, but a smile on his face. "Anyway, I need to talk to you."

"I don't care." She stepped backwards, moving to grab a stick that was on the ground. "I was stupid enough to think you loved me, I'm not going through that again."