Chapter Sixty-Two

Even in Wonderland, Jefferson knew something was happening. He hadn't heard from Serena, or anyone for that matter. He was quickly going insane the longer he spent there with the Cheshire Cat constantly bothering him.

His hut was filled with the hats that were supposed to get him home. His hope was slowly fading, but he refused to give up. He vowed that he would get back to Serena and Grace if it killed him. The thought of seeing their smiling faces was the only thing keeping him going. 

When he wasn't trying to get the hat to work, he thought of what kind of tea parties Grace would host when he got back. He thought of Serena when she was pregnant, imagining what it would be like if they had another child.

Grace would finally have the sibling that she could have tea parties with and Serena would have the big family she always wanted. And he wouldn't mind 'helping' her conceive the child. He smiled at the thought of being intimate with her again.

"Reminiscing the past, are we?" The sound of the White Rabbit made Jefferson spin around to the source of the noise.

"What the hell are you doing here?" His voice came out harsher than he intended, but he didn't really care.

"Your wife, Serena. Or was it Sabrina... I can't remember." He shook his head with a sigh. "Anyway, your wife is in danger."

"Serena's in danger?" His heart dropped at the thought of losing Serena while he was stuck in Wonderland. "What do you mean she's in danger? How?"

"Her sister. The Queen, she wants revenge." The White Rabbit explained, ringing his paws together. "She wants Serena to lose everything. She wants her to feel the pain she had to go through all these years."

"Of course, she does." Jefferson muttered, standing up from the ground and walking over to him. "Can you get me back to her?"

"I suppose. I might be able to clear some of my-"

"Can you get me to her or not?" Jefferson interrupted, rolling his eyes.

The White Rabbit stuttered for a moment before nodding. "Of course, yes." He then turned around, creating an enormous portal in the ground before jumping in. Jefferson took a deep breath, then followed behind him.

After several long minutes, Jefferson landed on the cold ground with a thud. He groaned, his mind hazy from spinning so much. It had been a long time since he had actually traveled by portal and it was worse than he remembered.

"Well, well. Long time, no see." Regina's voice made him look up to see her smiling face. He looked around, realizing he was stuck in a cell, most likely in her castle. "I have to say, this is not a very flattering angle."

"Your Majesty. Um, about the payment." The White Rabbit said, standing sheepishly behind her.

"We'll deal with that momentarily."

Jefferson's eyes landed on the rabbit, who was standing far too close to the cell door. Jefferson jumped up from the ground and grabbed him by his tie, shoving his face into the bars. "You lying little rodent!"

"Technically I'm a rabbit." He choked out, struggling to breathe.

"You're gonna be skinned when I'm done with you." The Hatter seethed, his grip tightening. "I can't believe you're actually working for her."

"It's not that hard to believe. He needed money, so that's exactly what I gave him." Regina explained, the smug smile never leaving her face. "You can go now, Rabbit." With a flick of her wrist, he disappeared in a cloud of purple smoke.

"What do you want, Regina?" Jefferson turned to her, his fists now clenched at his side. "A prize? You finally drove Serena away completely. Did you bring me here to tell me that? Did you bring me here to tell me that you had lost the one thing that really mattered?"

"I brought you here because I will finally get my victory. I've won." She told him, stepping closer to the cell. "I'm going to cast a curse that will give me everything I want. It will take us all to land where the only happy ending will be mine. And Serena won't remember you. Or Grace. She won't remember how you poisoned her against me."

"You did that to yourself." He spat back. "I was just the one who made her realize she didn't need you. And because of that, you're going to take everything from her? You truly are a monster. She'll never forgive you for this. You won't get away with this."

"We'll see about that." Was all she said before walking out the door, leaving him screaming behind her.

-Storybrooke-

"Henry," Emma brushed hair away from the boy's face, holding the story book in her hands. "You were right about the curse. I should've believed you. I'm sorry." She took a deep breath before placing the book under his pillow. "For when you wake up." She turned to leave as Regina walked into the room. "Say what you gotta say. You got ten minutes."

"Serena will take you. I'll meet you there."

"Don't be late." Emma said before walking out, meeting Serena outside. "Hey, I have something I need to take care of before we go fight this thing, okay?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll text you the address." Serena nodded with a sigh. Emma gave her a soft smile before leaving the hospital.

Regina walked over to Henry, the sight of the unconscious boy making her heart shatter. "I'm sorry." She whispered, standing over him. She struggled to get any other sentences out, the words stuck in her throat.

Jefferson watched her, wondering how she could be so heartless "Pity, isn't it?" She looked up at him as he walked over to her. "There's nothing harder than not knowing whether you'll ever see your child again."

"Jefferson, now is not a good time." She sighed, looking away from him. "Serena's outside if that's what you're waiting for."

"I already talked to her. I'm here to get back what you owe." He stopped just beside Henry's bedside. "I want my daughter. Where is she?"

"Emma was supposed to eat that apple and she didn't." Regina's face turned cold as if turning off the emotions she previously felt. "As far as I'm concerned, that makes our deal null and void."

"I did what you asked, and you're gonna screw me over again?"

"Look at it however you want, Jefferson." She looked up at him. "The fact is, I'm done with you."

"But I'm... I'm not done with you."

"What are you going to do?" She questioned with a laugh. "Kill me? I know you want to, but I also know you can't. If you did, you'd lose Serena forever. You don't want that, do you?" He didn't answer as a nurse walked in to check something on one of the machines. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to save my son."

Jefferson's jaw clenched as he watched her walk away. He knew this would happen. He knew Regina would screw him over again. Fortunately, he was forming a plan in his head. He couldn't directly get revenge on her. Someone else had to do it. And he had a vague idea of who it would be.