Chapter Twenty-One

The first place Jefferson went was Victor's home. He knew what Victor was going to say, ranting about how irresponsible and stupid he was being, but he thought it would be best to go to get away from his own thoughts.

Now he was regretting that decision.

He was currently sitting in Victor's living room, trying to ignore Victor's lecture. Most of it was "what were you thinking" or "how can you be so stupid?"

"Are you listening to me?" Victor paused as he realized Jefferson wasn't paying attention. Jefferson shook his head with a sigh. "Really? What did you expect when you came here? A congratulations?"

"No. I just thought you'd make sense of the situation." Jefferson said, grabbing the bottle of whiskey. "I thought you'd tell me that what I did was right. I let her go. Isn't that a good thing? I was protecting her."

"From what?"

"From her sister."

"If her sister really cares about her, she wouldn't do something that could destroy Serena's happiness."

"You don't know Regina."

"No, I don't." Victor said, taking the bottle out of Jefferson's hands as he went to pour another glass. "But I do know you. And I know how stupidly stubborn you can be. How is this any different?"

"I thought I was doing the right thing." Jefferson sighed, setting down the glass. "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I wouldn't be able to make enough money for food."

"That's what this is about?" Victor asked. "I thought this was about her sister."

"It is. I just- I know that Regina can give her the stable life that I can't."

"Why can't you?" Victor leaned against the bar, folding his arms across his chest. "Have you ever tried to think about having a stable life? You don't always have to be moving around, stealing things wherever you go. Have you ever thought about settling down? Starting a family with someone?"

"I don't know." Jefferson admitted with a sigh. "I don't usually stop long enough to think about what I would do if I did."

"Try it." Victor suggested, grabbing the bottle of whiskey and pouring both of them a glass. "If you can see a future with Serena, a life with Serena, maybe you'll realize exactly what you did."

"No. I'm probably the last person she wants to see right now." He let out a fake laugh. "I did the stupidest thing anyone could have done. I told her I didn't love her anymore."

"Yes, that is the stupidest thing you could've done."

"Thank you. I came to you so you wouldn't lecture me."

"Well, you came to the wrong person." Victor sighed, handing him a glass. "But it's true. Now, the only thing you can do is fix it. Talk to her. I'm sure she'll forgive you."

"But there's still the matter of her sister." Jefferson looked up, playing with the rim of his glass. "I already made the deal. And Serena still thinks I don't love her."

"I'm sure you'll figure things out." Victor assured. "Just figure things out. And when you're ready, you'll find Serena and tell her how you feel." Jefferson nodded, processing Victor's words. He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but he knew that he couldn't go up against Regina.

Serena would be safe with Regina, that's all he cared about.

"Serena?" Regina knocked on the door to her sister's room. "Serena, I know you're hurting, but you need to come out." Serena hadn't left her room in almost a month, only coming out for dinner. Even then, she barely touched her food.