chp: 27

neji and ten-ten were getting ready to jump in the fight. seeing that lee was down, and neji hated that. no one was allowed to hurt his teammate. but, he stopped moving.

"what's the matter? thought you were going to fight us?" dosu taunted.

even though neji's eyes scared them ever so slightly. everyone was very weary now that a hyuga has joined the fight.

"it seems my position has been taken over." neji simply said.

sasuke's chakra was growing, his mind jumbled as he saw his younger self. blaming him, telling him he should've been stronger. his younger self began to rip his skin as orochimaru showed in his comatose state.

"if only you had more power."

and that's all that was left as sasuke snapped his eyes open. he stood up, purple chakra circling around him, engulfing him as if he were to drown in it.

"sasuke, you're awake!" sakura seemed happy, but only for a moment.

she was more shocked than scared. shikamaru, ino and choji had that fear show, mixing with shock at the power he was emitting.

sasuke slowly stood up straight, the side of the curse mark began to glow and burn. markings appeared on his skin. he walked next to sakura, his steps heavy and demanding.

"sakura," his voice seemed bored. that was his teammate hurt, and lightning would've went berserk if he saw what happened to sakura. "who did this to you?"

the chakra around him began to clear up. his sharingan bright and wide, his skin held a bit more color and the markings were black and scary looking.

"who was it?" sasuke repeated, seeing how she won't respond.

he doesn't like sakura in the way she wants, but he does like her. it was only a little bit, but he grew protective over his teammates, especially now since lightning isn't here to help.

"sasuke, what's happening?" sakura managed to get out.

how will lightning react?

sasuke lifted his hand up, staring at it. the markings caught his eyes as his mouth parted slightly.

"don't worry. i'm alright, it's only the power flowing through me. in fact, i've never felt better. he gave me this gift, and he made me understand who i am. i'm an avenger. to follow my path, i must have power. at any price. even if it means me being consumed by evil. i'll use it to protect lightning."

those words shocked everyone to the core. it was silent as sakura couldn't believe her ears and eyes. if lightning heard those words, he would be devastated.

"what will lighting think?!"

sasuke momentarily flinched at the mention of the white haired male with lavender tips leaving someone else's mouth. his heart calmed at the mention, but he shook it off.

lightning wasn't giving him power.

"sakura, tell me. which one of these people did this to you?" he changed the subject.

i'll kill them just as lightning would've done.

"that'd be me." zaku abumi said.

sasuke glared in his direction, his lips in a frown. he slowly turned his body and head in abumi's direction. his frown being replaced with a smirk, seeing the sound ninja's cocky grin turn into thin line. showing he was serious.

"ino!" shikamaru said, catching the body of kin tsuchi. "hurry up and get back in your body! you don't want to get involved in this. you too choji, come on, get out of there."