chp: 49

"you mean we have to watch this guy?!" naruto shouted, his features narrowed and his whisker-like cheeks showing a pout.

oh, this guy. lightning thought. thought we lost him, guess not.

when sakura and him caught up to naruto and sasuke, they just barely lost the porcupine guy. lightning continued to just name him porcupine for the fun of it, until he actually learned his name.

in this moment, idate morino. where have i heard the name morino from? lightning wondered.

sasuke tensed next to lightning, his eyes filtering in a glare. he didn't like that lightning was staring at the brown haired male.

sasuke grabbed lightning's hand, squeezing it and moving it to rest in between his legs. lightning looked at sasuke, tilting his head and giving a soft smile.

"we're babysitting a racer." lightning sighed out, looking at sasuke. sasuke nodded his head in agreement.

which managed to catch sakura, naruto, the elderly guy and idate's attention. lightning meant to only say that to sasuke, but it seems he was speaking to everyone else. they were quiet, waiting for lightning to continue.

he hadn't thought of continuing, but he might as well. no harm in that.

lightning looked at idate, pointing to him. as if he was picking out prey, that made the racer shiver and look away. his eyes looking at the wall before looking back at lightning when he was quiet.

"you better be a damn good racer," lightning said, "i hate babysitting. i could care less what happens to you." he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"i think i liked it better when we were in the restaurant... especially when i thought you were a girl." he said.

lightning shrugged, a smirk filtering on his lips from his words. sure, he almost flinched at the whole 'girl' type of thing, but sasuke was there to keep him grounded. he was also there to keep sasuke grounded, the uchiha was pissed from idate's words.

"you guys already know each other, that's good." the older man -boss jirocho- said, giving a closed eyed smile.

"i wouldn't be so sure." sakura mumbled, waving him off.

clearly he wasn't sensing the tension between all of them. but, it was now time for the long journey ahead of them.

sasuke got up and helped lightning up, keeping their hands clasped. sasuke made sure lightning was flushed to his side as he continued to glare at idate. his usual stoic uchiha face was nowhere to be seen.

lightning tuned out naruto and idate as they walked. he kept his head on sasuke's shoulders, closing his eye momentarily. he didn't need to listen, nor did he want to listen.

he was dreading this mission.

they did have a run in with the wagarashi men, at least a few from them. sasuke had let lightning's hand go to catch the punch before it was blown on an innocent man.

"what the- who are you?!" the man asked, looking a bit nervous at sasuke.

"why don't you and your friends take a hike." sasuke said.

lightning flushed and his eye shined, almost as if a star was there. he's so cool. he's really with me? i'm so lucky.

"get him out of there!" the woman said nervously. "those are the wagarashi's men."

"don't worry." sakura looked at her with a reassuring smile.

"he can handle them." lightning added, looking back and watching sasuke easily take care of them.