eight - too many americans

keeping a peanut butter jar open to dip your finger in at any time was probably one of the strangest habits that ted had, in rain's mind

she frowned as she heard the man inform the team of this quirk of his after an analogy of his fell flat, as they commonly do.

what made the ordeal stranger is when roy, of all people, agreed that the idea was a good one.

to top it all of, it was all because sam had been yelling at jamie that he was open and the prick hadn't passed to him.  

"what the actual fuck? what about like bugs?" rain asked from her spot by the goal. she looked up, as if there was a thought bubble above her with the explanation. "i guess it just makes it have more protein. i mean if the people in like thailand or mexico or china can do it, why can't we? maybe i should try bugs. wait no, they're not vegan... but they are sustainable."

ted nodded, "i love seeing your mind work, rain. it's like a self-cleaning vacuum, it just keeps going and going and figuring it all out."

"you mean a roomba?" 

"yes!"

rain frowned again, "i don't know how i feel about that. feels like a back-handed compliment, like when someone says you're brave for wearing an outfit."

"no, it was a compliment." rain nodded as ted turned his attention back to the team. "now look, when sam is that open, you gotta pass to him, okay?"

"but why? even when sam's open, sam is still shit," jamie retorted. 

rain glared at him, ready to chew into him. she stopped herself as she saw sam approaching.

sam ran over, huge smile on his face, "i heard my name. what did he say?"

"don't worry about it, sammy," rain told, sending him a bright smile back. "keep being you, cutie. love you."

"love you too, rain," sam replied, before running back off. she blew him a kiss. 

"how can you be so mean about him? he's got the prettiest smile i've ever seen and he's adorable," rain scolded. 

ted smiled at her, "is there something going on between the-"

"no," rain deadpanned. "he's my friend and i defend my friends. and before you ask, i defend all of them like that."

"oh, okay. listen, guys, we gotta play like a team tomorrow. otherwise we're gonna get our butts kicked. extra passes. we're gonna keep doing this until we get it right. let's go," ted instructed.