twelve- healing

tw - mentions of abuse

a dress was what rain landed on. she was sacrificing a small satin dress. it was nothing special. it was a plain old dress. but to her the dress was everything. the satin flowed between her fingers as she waited for sam to pick her up. 

she had told him just to honk when he was there, but he never did. he walked up to her door and knocked, every time. 

"hey, sammy, my love," she greeted, grabbing her bag that held her dress.

"hello, raindrop," he responded. "what are you bringing?"

rain smiled, walking next to him to his car, "you'll find out with the others."

he didn't push and that's what rain loved. he let it sit, he didn't make her uncomfortable and he respected every single boundary she set. 

---

rain clutched her bag tightly, taking deep breaths as she tried to remind herself that the men around her wouldn't judge her for her truth. they would respect everything she would say and admit in that room. 

"gentlemen, and rain, i am, by nature, a believer. ghosts, spirit guides, aliens. still, i can't actually tell you what lives beyond our physical world and what doesn't. what i can tell you, is that with the exception of the wit and wisdom of calvin and hobbes, not much lasts forever," ted spoke to the room. 

"what?" rain muttered, glancing to sam, who shrugged. 

the speech was interrupted as rebecca joined the room, squeezing into the space next to rain. 

"hey, boss. glad you could join us," ted greeted. "roy, why don't you get things started for us?"

roy stepped forward, blanket in hand, "i was nine when i got scouted by sunderland, and i'd never left london before. my granddad drove me all the way there, and it was freezing, and i was terrified."

there were a few laughs from around the room. 

"i was fucking nine. say something," roy bellowed. his voice went back to the quieter tone from before when everyone stopped. "when i got there, he gave me this old blanket. he said it was to keep me warm and to remind me of home. and that was the last time i saw him. 'cause he'd passed away by the time i got back for christmas, so... that is why blankie means so much to me."

rain smiled at the slip up.

"did you just say 'blankie'?" isaac mocked. 

"no, i said 'blanket.' conversation over. sam, go."

sam stepped forward, placing a picture of the 1994 nigerian world cup team that he had pledged he wouldn't take down until he made the team himself. richard put sand from a beach in st barts where he slept with a supermodel for the first time, or at least for the first time on a beach.