eighteen - disappointed

the entire team and rain were hidden in ted and beard's office while their new kitman, will, did all his work

the entire team and rain were hidden in ted and beard's office while their new kitman, will, did all his work. they were waiting for nate to arrive so they could give him the good news.

he was being promoted.

and everyone but him knew.

higgins and ted started the entire thing with a fake phone call before rebecca joined.

which was a slight recipe for disaster, that none of them had thought of. rain had thought the main relatively even tempered, until he called rebecca a shrew.

he basically spat at her as he spoke. she had never heard such venom in his tone before.

"the fuck is a shrew?" rain asked quietly.

"no clue," colin muttered in reply.

the anger dissipated as soon as rebecca used his name. it shocked him enough that he paused, allowing her to announce his new contract.

"you haven't been fired," ted started. "it's worse... you've been promoted."

that was their cue, rain pulled up the blind closest to her as the team began to cheer. she then moved, so the door could be open and the congratulations could begin. the team rushed out, each of them pulling nate into a huge hug.

someone let off a confetti canon as they lifted him into the air, chanting his name as they did.

rain laughed, snapping pictures as they did this. it was such a wholesome sight, nate had worked his way up and the team were celebrating his victory with him.

the chaos calmed and the team split like the red sea, allowing a singing ted and beard to walk down the aisle, fancy box in hand. they opened it, revealing a new whistle. the team 'oohed' before ted began a small speech.

"nathan shelley, i present this whistle but it is sad, do you know why?"

"no."

"because it has never been blown," ted answered.

nate didn't miss a beat, "is that the same reason why colin's sad?"

colin slowly turned his head, looking offended by the comment as those around him laughed and 'oohed'. colin's face morphed into one of shock. it was safe to say no one knew nate could banter like that.

"by the power vested in me by the associative football club of richmond, i now pronounce you coach nate," he placed the whistle on nate's neck as he finished.

nate then blew the whistle causing everyone to flinch. he quickly apologised.

---

everyone was feeling the pressure of the final match. the looming threat of relegation was helping no one as they worried about the outcome. rain had comforted about half the team in a day, each of them coming to her office, lying on the sofa close to her desk and acting like she was a therapist.