twenty-one - stalker

dani couldn't shoot

dani couldn't shoot. their star striker could no longer kick a ball into the net. and it wasn't that he was shooting too predictably, it was that he was shooting and it was flying metres above the goal and going nowhere near where it should be. 

they were well and truly fucked. 

and when rain had suggested a therapist because killing a dog was obviously messing with dani more than any of them were capable of helping with, she was shut down. she instantly knew ted didn't like therapists. but he eventually agreed to it after the others backed her up. 

but she knew they were extremely helpful. 

not that she had been. 

honestly, she knew she should go. she was probably a therapists wet dream (at least one that wasn't funded by the nhs). she had years and years of trauma that would take session after session after session of talking and working through it. 

yet she knew every single one of her problems without having a professional tell her what was wrong. 

she never accepted help because she never received it when she was younger, she was scared of commitment because of her ex, she was paranoid because of her ex, she was overly nice to others because she didn't want them to feel the way she did and she was notorious for basically self-sabotaging herself because she didn't believe she deserved anything good. 

why did she need a therapist to tell her that? 

there was a part of her that knew a therapist was more than that and that actually they could probably help her change her behaviour so she didn't keep fucking stuff up for herself. 

---

rain's idea was turned around quickly. she came into work a few days later and she was introduced to doctor sharon fieldstone who was to take over higgins' office. 

"it's nice to meet you, doctor fieldstone," she greeted. 

"and you miss perez," she replied. 

rain smiled, "just call me rain."

"why?"

"because perez is my mum and dad's last name and i don't want it," she replied honestly. "but i don't know what i would change it to."

"and-"

"you're going to ask me why i don't want their last name, aren't you?" she asked. sharon nodded. "because they hated me and blamed me for my sister dying. and that is as much as i am going to say to you now, maybe i'll come in for a session at some point."

---

whatever sharon said to dani worked. he came back out better than before. he even managed to score a goal. rain was watching from the sidelines, doctor fieldstone behind her, waiting to see if dani had overcome his case of the yips (which rain learnt meant he couldn't play sports anymore and was like saying macbeth in a theatre).