Cuddles & Congestion

Requested by @RandomKristineGurl

It had been around a month since Amity, Luz, Willow, Hunter and Gus arrived in the human realm after the disastrous Day of Unity.

It was jarring, to say the least, switching from the familiarity of the Demon Realm to the strange newness of the human realm. It had been a nice distraction from everything that had happened, learning about human culture for the first little while. The five of them—sometimes including Vee—would explore and research and learn more about humans' fascinating habits and environment.

Maybe they had been out a little too much, because now Amity was suffering from what Luz called the "flu". It was horrible. She was constantly sniffling and sneezing; something always seemed to be blocking her throat, no matter how much she coughed or cleared it; her temperature was all over the place, always either too hot or too cold; and sometimes she threw up, so she had to monitor what she ate and drank. At least in the human realm there was no fire breathing involved.

Willow and Gus were in Luz's room with her, playing her strange combinations of music and sound effects while she lay in the bed that had been set up for her. According to them, they had done this before when she went with Eda and King to Eclipse Lake, and had found some beautiful combos.

"Ooh! Ooh!" Gus exclaimed, pulling out more CDs. "What about train whistles in a thunderstorm and soothing opera screaming? That was one of my favourites!"

"Yeah!" Willow enthused. The two put the CDs in and played them for Amity. The sound that emerged was an interesting mixture that actually sounded pretty nice together. Her eyes closed as she took in the noise.

She heard the door opening over the CDs and pried her eyes open again as the noise was paused.

"How are you guys doing in here?" Luz asked, her gaze zeroing in on Amity.

"We've been playing Amity some of the human sound combos we came up with while you were sick!" Gus answered.

"We're hoping it'll help her get some rest," Willow added, glancing over at the girl.

Amity smiled at Luz weakly. The tickle in her nose came back, and she took a breath before letting out a sneeze. Luz's face softened, and she moved to sit beside her on the bed.

"How are you?" she asked, the gentle tone in her voice matching her expression. She brought a hand up to Amity's cheek and brushed her thumb along it in a soothing motion. Amity couldn't hold back a fond smile at the gesture.

"Okay," she said, leaning into the warm touch. "I think the music is helping a bit."

"That's good. Vee is downstairs showing Hunter how to make soup for you. She was originally going to do it herself, but he really wanted to learn, so...I guess you'll just have to hope they don't light the house on fire." Luz let out a little laugh.

"What about Camila?" Amity asked. She wasn't really that interested in the answer—she just wanted to hear her girlfriend talk. Her voice was familiar and calming, and she could feel it lulling her to sleep even as she tried to stay awake to listen. Amity let out a soft hum and curled around the warmth that Luz emitted, her voice and presence relaxing enough that her mind soon drifted into slumber.

When she woke up again, she rubbed her blurry eyes and squinted. She still felt sort of nauseous, and her heat had gone down again. She shivered and held tighter onto Luz's warmth.

Wait, Luz?

Amity sat up quickly, making her head spin with dizziness. She shut her eyes and grabbed her head, lying back down. It felt like a gorenado was blowing fiercely through her head and stabbing it with a thousand tiny daggers. She could feel Luz shift beside her.