26| Where are you?

A couple days later, on a Friday, River had announced he was going to a pool party the next day and that the group must go with him. Eli wasn't feeling it so he said he wouldn't go. His friends whined and groaned for him to come along but he just didn't want to be around a crowd.

He was currently lounging on his parents' couch, feeling the laziest and gloomiest he had ever felt. After the emotionally exhausting afternoon he spent with Jessica, she hadn't talked to him as much and Eli didn't like that. He wanted to hear her voice and see her but she kept turning him down, sometimes even leaving him on read.

"What's going on with you, baby?" Layla, his mother, questioned as she walked into the living room with a glass of juice and set it down on the coffee table.

"Nothing..." Eli simply said.

His mother sat down next to him and patted his forehead, silently asking him to lift his head up and rest it on her thigh. This reminded him of that one time he laid on Jessica's lap and nuzzled her tummy. He sighed, wanting nothing more than to see her right then.

"Talk to me, honey" she cooed at her son, running her fingers through his hair.

Eli loved getting his hair played with and he couldn't wait until Jessica's fingers tugged at it. If it sounds like everything he thought of was her, it's because at this point, she really was all he could think about.

"It's just... someone... like..." he tried. He frustratedly sighed and rubbed his face before looking up at his mother. "My g... this student is getting bullied in college. I heard about it on my first day, which was ages ago, and what people are doing to her is really disgusting, mom. They're doing the exact same thing Crystal did to that girl in high school" he explained.

"What is the dean saying about all this?" Layla asked, furrowing her brows.

"Nothing and it's starting to really upset me" Eli grumbled and crossed his arms.

"Hmm.. is it... someone you know?" she pried.

"It's a classmate, yeah..." he confirmed.

"Well, what are you doing about this?" she asked again, tilting her head and tracing Eli's eyebrows with her finger.

"Me and the guys are trying to keep her safe but she just won't let me in, or any of us for that matter!" he said with so much sadness and frustration that his mom couldn't help the smirk that contorted her lips.

"Hmm, she won't let you in, you say..." she muttered.

Suddenly, as if realisation hit her, Layla's smirk fell and she looked nothing short of horrified. Eli saw his mother frown and shake her head in disbelief. Did she catch on?

"Ma!" he groaned and rolled his eyes.

"Okay, okay... forget I said anything. Just remember that if any of y'all need a ride or die, me and dad are here" she chuckled out, humourlessly, referring to the group.