60| Like we're supposed to

In the week that followed, Eli tried to have a 1 to 1 with Jessica but, obviously, are we even surprised that she dodged him every time?

Today, though, he saw an opportunity. He couldn't go to college so he spent the morning bit of his day revising and tidying up his place. He knew what time Jessica would get home, so he made his way over to her house and waited inside the building by her front door.

As soon as she busted the corner of the hallway and saw Eli, she loudly kissed her teeth and rolled her eyes. But he wasn't swayed, he was there to work things out.

"Excuse me" Jessica mumbled. Eli stood up from the floor and waited for her to open the door.

"Can I-" he was cut off, sharply.

"No" she asserted. As she stepped into her house, Eli caught the door before she slammed it shut.

"I just wanna talk, Jessica... please" he quietly said.

"I have nothing to say to you" she said.

The look she gave him debunked her lie so fast. She did have a lot more to say to him. Could it be that she just didn't know how to calmly say it?

"Will you listen-" he started but she sighed and turned away from him to step further into her house.

Eli immediately followed and he was glad she said nothing about it.

Usually, they would shower, cook, eat and chill when they got home from college. Today, nothing like that happened. Jessica went to her living room and sat down on the couch, without even removing her shoes, crossed her legs and arms and glared at Eli. Her body language was so closed off, she didn't even have to say anything for Eli to know that she really didn't want him there. He still sat down by her and rubbed his face before starting.

"How have you been?" he asked.

She said absolutely nothing, so he looked her way. He narrowed his eyes when he noticed a big scratch mark on her left arm and smaller ones on her hands.

"You're hurt?" he asked.

His hand automatically flew to hers and nothing could have prepared Eli for the strong push she gave him as she scoffed.

"Wouldn't you be if I decided to cheat on you?" she grinned, icily.

The attitude on this woman was something Eli couldn't get used to. It just stank like a durian.

"I'm talking about that" he pointed at her injuries, trying to ignore her stinging words.

"And I'm talking about you!" she answered.

Strength.

Eli silently prayed for just enough strength to keep calm.

"Look, I'm sorry you had to see that, okay? I didn't do it on purpose, I didn't even think it was... her... that was in front of me" he apologised again.

"Right... because, all of a sudden, you're Stevie Wonder" she scoffed again. "Makes sense..."

"Jessica, for real, it was a mistake and I'm sorry" he put his hand on her thigh.

"Don't touch me!" she pushed him away again.

Silence. Death glares shooting back and forth. Heartbeats sprinting.

Strength. Please.

"What is it that you want me to do? Hm? You want me to get on my knees and beg you to forgive me? You want me stop traffic and tell the city how I made a drunk mistake? Because I'm willing to do whatever to show you that I really don't fuck with Aaliyah like that and whatever happened that night was never ever my intention... it was never a plan or even a thought" he was starting to get riled up at her attitude and inability to just listen but he still managed to keep calm. For now.