37| My people

It was now Thursday afternoon. Mitchell and Layla, Eli's parents, asked him to spend the evening with them. He wanted to go to Jessica's house and spend time with her, though. It seemed like he had moved into her place, lately finding himself entangled with her body in her bed 24/7. But since he'd gotten his own apartment, he hadn't been to see his parents that often for two reasons.

First, they lived far, at least a couple hours' drive away.

Eli didn't like to drive for long periods of time more often than necessary. New Year's had been an exception, even though he didn't actually drive there himself. He also didn't want to make it look like he was homesick because his parents would then start popping up at his house most probably every other day.

Then, there was her.

He didn't know exactly when he had fallen for the confidence-lacking beauty but he liked to think it was when they first met. When Eli walked up to David's car that day, he couldn't take his eyes off of her. She had a shy smile on her face and her gaze immediately captivated him. He was pretty sure they made eye contact with each other at least 100 times in those few minutes and, since then, every time he looked at or thought of her, his heart would pound in his chest.

And now, she was his girlfriend.

Nevertheless, there he was, standing at his parents' front door waiting for it to swing open. Within a few seconds, the door opened and he was instantly engulfed in a soft but strong hug from his mother.

"Ma..." Eli dragged the word, just like the air was dragged out of his lungs by his mother's embrace, as he hugged her back.

"Hi, honey! Come in, dinner's almost ready. Mitch, your son is here!" she shouted, ushering Eli inside the house and towards the dining room.

"Hey, dad" Eli said excitedly as he saw his father practically sliding down three flights of stairs in no time. This man meant everything to Eli and the tight, long hug they shared conveyed that much.

"Ugh my son, I missed you. Thank you for finding the time to come see us again, boy" his father said, patting and rubbing Eli's back.

"I will always be free to come home" Eli said, pulling back a little to look at his parents with a truly sincere smile.

"Come on, you guys. Time to stuff my toothpick-looking child" Layla said, side eyeing Eli. "You look like you've been eating good but not good enough."

"Said every grandmother ever" Eli muttered under his breath as he rolled his eyes, making his dad let out one of his rumbling laughs.

Layla paid them no mind and motioned the men to follow her. Eli and his dad sat opposite each other and let Layla take the seat at the head of the table. She had gone to the kitchen to get the meal she'd been preparing since this morning, as Eli's dad revealed, and came back to sit down with them, placing the trays of food in the middle of the table.

"My only son came to visit after such a long time, it's only right he gets fed properly. I don't even know why you're complaining, Mitch. The whole time, you kept asking me to have 'a taste' that would have left us with nothing but bones" Layla said, waving her hand and dismissing Mitchell completely.

"Now honey, you know I really only wanted to taste your baked chicken to see if it was up to Eli's liking" Mitchell countered, winking at Eli and sharing the food for everybody.

"Later on I'll let you taste my chicken, alright" Layla muttered.

Mitchell gave his wife a teasing eyebrow raise and Eli pinched the bridge of his nose in embarrassment and disgust.