56| Grind on me

The group was at the campus restaurant eating and talking when Jessica's phone started vibrating on the table. Every time she cut the call, the person would ring her right back. Then, the calls stopped. She could see her friends eyeing her and her phone with quirked brows and frowns but nobody said a thing.

Jessica had also noticed her friends gazing towards the general area where the food was a couple of times and they were uncomfortably shifting in their seats. When she looked in the same direction, she saw none other than Aaliyah, who was across the room getting herself something to eat and scowling at her phone.

That was the first time Jessica actually looked at her.

She was mixed. Her skin complexion was darker than Eli's but much lighter than her own. Her body was... nice. Her curly hair was a light brown shade with light caramel dyed ends, her eyes were coloured a calming green, she had a nose ring and conventionally single pierced ears, her nails were nicely manicured and her makeup was overall light but cute. She was wearing a white crop top, tight denim shorts and a green plaid oversized unbuttoned shirt that reached her mid thighs, as well as some trainers and a couple of necklaces. She was pretty.

No, she is beautiful.

Jessica didn't know she was staring until Aaliyah's eyes met hers. She immediately looked away, wondering why exactly the girl was on her way over to the group's table.

And then, she heard her voice, which didn't sound anything like the girl on the phone other than being annoying.

"Hey, can I sit with you guys?" Aaliyah asked. Even her smile was beautiful.

"Erm, yeah... sure" Nadia said, eyeing everyone at the table and subtly scrunching her face.

Jessica was confused, like... wait, we don't like her?

She was sitting between Nadia and Eli on the round table. Payton was sitting between the empty chair next to Eli and River. There were another three empty seats between River and Nadia (just to make sure y'all get it: there was Nadia, Jessica, Eli, empty chair with Payton's bag on it, Payton, River, empty chair with River's bag on it, empty chair with Nadia's and Jessica's bags on it and then Nadia again to complete the circle).

So much available space and the girl still decided to sit right between Eli and Payton, who didn't seem too happy to have to move her bag. It seemed as though only Jessica thought that cramping between Eli and Payton was unnecessary but it was clear that the group, in general, didn't fuck with Aaliyah.

"Thanks" the girl said. She took a quick glance at Eli and blushed, which didn't go unnoticed by Jessica.

Huh...

"Before you came around I don't think I had ever seen you on campus" Nadia pondered. "Are you new?"

Jessica furrowed her brows.

Before she came around? Round where, exactly? I don't remember ever hanging out with her...? When was this?

? When was this?