47| Weird

The following week, Mr. Sanders had given his class the grades for the projects he had assigned earlier in the year. Given that David was no longer one of his students, he told Eli, River, Nadia, Payton and Jessica that he would split David's credits between them so as to complete the overall grade.

They had gone to the student hub after lunch to discuss end of academic year celebrations when Jessica's phone started ringing on the table. She quickly cut the call and put her phone on silence but it didn't stop there. It wasn't the first time this unknown number consistently rang her and the group was starting to get frustrated.

"Let me talk to them" Payton grabbed Jessica's phone and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Payton!" Jessica whisper yelled at her friend

"Payton!" Jessica whisper yelled at her friend. She saw Payton's face contort in confusion as the person on the other side of the line spoke.

The truth was as follows:

Take y'alls slow asses back to the locker incident...

Remember that? Alright.

So, after David and Hannah had been suspended, somebody started contacting Jessica. The messages were simple but disturbing, plus the way she would sometimes act nervous or hide her phone when she was with her friends didn't go unnoticed by them. Jessica had blocked that number but another one then started messaging and calling her.

Somehow, it got worse when the person on the phone found out that Jessica and Eli had broken things off, which was almost 6 weeks ago. That number kept messaging Jessica's phone saying that whoever was behind it, who they clarified were a girl, was sorry for coming between Jessica and Eli and that 'she' would do any and everything possible so they (Eli and the anonymous girl) could be together.

If y'all also remember, it was around that same time that a girl by the name of Aaliyah started talking to Eli and asking him to hang out almost every other day. For some reason, though, the group never mentioned it to Jessica.

What struck as the most chilling was that the person would always know exactly when she was with Eli or where the group was hanging out.

At first, Jessica didn't believe it, she thought it was just a joke. But then, how did this person get her phone number? How did they know her and Eli? Why exactly did they only start contacting Jessica right after Hannah and David got suspended? And why would they want to break the couple up? That didn't matter by now anyway, but I mean...

It was all weird and confusing from day one and Jessica paid it no mind but, as the messages got more specific, it downed on her that someone seriously wanted to mess things up. Jessica never said anything to anyone until a couple of days ago, when they were in class and her phone kept ringing and pinging. Eli had snatched her phone away when she was using it and saw the messages she had been receiving.

He was upset and decided to tell the group what was going on, which leads us to today, when Payton had had enough and said...

"What your ratchet, doo-doo mouth, blue waffle pussy just say?" Payton stood up and started pacing.

"Just hang up!" Jessica tried to say to her friend, who just ignored her.

"Put them on speakers, Payton" River said and Jessica sighed.

The phone was put on speaker and what the person on the other side of the line said had everyone tripping balls.

"- answering the phone when it isn't yours? I want to talk to Jessica, it's not something that concerns you" the person said.

And, sure enough, it was a girl.

The voice sounded kind of muffled and it also sounded a little familiar. It wasn't a high pitched voice nor was it low or deep. It was just... feminine. Normal. Assertive. And very annoying.

"Who the fuck is you, though?" Nadia asked.

"Someone only Eli should be worried about... who are you?!" the girl continued.

Everyone's gaze fell on Eli and he quirked a brow up. To Jessica, it looked like he could have had an idea of who the girl on the phone was but he didn't say anything.

"What's your deal with him?" Payton's voice was now loud. There were only a couple of other students in the room so she didn't care who heard her.

"I want to date him. And, like I already told Jessica, I'm sorry for coming between you guys... I just can't give up on him" the girl giggled.

Jessica was beyond shocked and she did a very good job at 'hiding it' behind her bored sigh but Eli just scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"No, thanks. I'm already taken" he finally said.

Jessica could see him looking at her from the corner of her eyes. She reluctantly looked at him and, when their gazes met, he winked and smiled.

"Yeah, well, soon you'll be taken by me. I'll see you around, handsome" and with that, the call ended.

Nobody said a thing for a minute. It was during this awkward silence that Jessica started feeling... stupid.

Fuck, I hope Eli wasn't-

"So, E... you weren't cheating on Kat when y'all were together or anything, right?" River muttered Jessica's thoughts on cue.

He didn't look up or speak loud, he just stayed still with his arms crossed and his attention focused on the floor, a very clear indication that he was dead serious. Payton and Nadia looked from River to Jessica, to Eli, to River, back to Eli and then settled on Jessica.

"Not a chance, buddy" Eli answered.

Jessica saw him peek at River with a frown and shake his head. He kind of looked like he was shocked with the question, and if he truly was, he didn't fully show it.

But Jessica didn't know what to think of what the girl had said. Throughout the day, that phone call was all that occupied her mind and, for some eerie reason, she could only think of one person.

Her name was Aaliyah, she remembered Eli telling her, but it had been so long since she saw the girl that she couldn't think of a face to put to the name.

She thought of messaging Eli to ask about this Aaliyah girl. She was itching to know if Eli had really hooked up with her, or anybody, while they were still together or if the two were 'talking'. But he wasn't her boyfriend anymore, it didn't matter what Eli did in the past or who he met now... right?

Yeah.... that's right, girl. It doesn't matter, she concluded. She shook her head and sighed, stepped out of her clothes and walked into the shower.

She was now laying in bed, looking at the TV but not actually watching it, and thinking of Eli, of how she missed his presence and the way he would cuddle her to sleep. But she was somewhat glad he was out of harm's way, that's what she cared about.

Her phone rang but she didn't look at it or pick it up. It then pinged 3 times, indicating that she'd received some text messages, and she checked her phone after releasing a tired sigh.

Eli | 22:13
i know what you're thinking
but i promise i would never
trust me

Jessica | 22:17
what?

Eli | 22:17
i love you
and i miss you

Jessica was confused by the first 3 messages but the last ones, which she didn't even reply to, made her feel like Eli was right behind her, hugging her and pecking her neck like he always did before they both fell asleep.